Very slow frame rate

chrisennever Guest

Having recently formatted my HD and reinstalled my FS 2004 I find that the frame rate is exreemly slow almost zero. I also find that I have no menu bar at the top, so I cannot make changes from the menu bar, neither can I exit the program using Esc.
I have uninstalled and re installed several times but the same problem occurs. Previous to formatting my HD the program ran perfectly. My Nvidia card has the latest driver. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Answers 19 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

can you please give me the spec of your machine?

processor, RAM, gfx card, HD type and size

cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

My opinion is that your problem starts from your VGA.Try to roolback drivers or install the old ones and check what happens.

Sharing your specs would be helpful too.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

... I have no menu bar at the top, so I cannot make changes from the menu bar, neither can I exit the program using Esc.

In regards to the above - I use Alt to access the menu bar and Ctrl+ C to exit FS.
As for the rest - Greekman and Insight make an awesome team 👏

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

As about me dear Tailhook i can ensure you that there are more better than me,and i can notice them...
Im only a learner and i thing that i will never stop being one... 😉

Chrisennever Guest

I am running Windows XP Prof (Service pack 2),my procesor is AMD Athlon XP 1800+ !.54 Ghz, And my Video card is NVidia Gforce3 Ti200

chrisennever Guest

I am running Windows XP Prof (Service pack 2),my procesor is AMD Athlon XP 1800+ !.54 Ghz, And my Video card is NVidia Gforce3 Ti200, 512meg Ram, 40 gig harddrive.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

OK.

Tell us what you have try for troubleshoting untill now.

chrisennever Guest

I thought that there was a conflict with a program I had installed recently, so I uninstalled that, I have updated the Nvidia driver, I have uninstalled and reinstalled FS2004, I guess thats all I can tell you at this point, Ive cheched the disks to see if they are clean, Everthing works fine until I click on "Fly", the cockpit view appears, the graphics are clear, but when I open the throttle to take off, there is a couple of frame jerks,I then know there is no point in continuing, soI go to exit by the menu bar , but that does not exist, so I try to exit using Esc, nothing happens so I exit using ctrl-alt-delete to get back to my desktop. Thats it! What do you think?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

First of all follow Tailhooks instructions about menu bar and esc.
Then check your video settings in FS menu and just in case lower them.

If nothing happens try as i already told you to unistall your VGA from Device Manager menu.Restart your system and let the Hardware Wizard find it and continue installation with the drivers you already have.Not the updated ones.

What was the program you have recently installed?

Let us know the results...

chrisennever Guest

PGA golf tour 2004

chrisennever Guest

I uninstalled the VGA and rebooted, still no change, although pressing alt does get me the menu bar( I should have known that). The odd thing is that the graghics are perfect, i see the prop whizing around, together with engine sounds, I can get all the different view modes eg. virtual cockpit etc, every thing is slowed right down, when I reduce the throttle it takes a few seconds to respond.
I don't think there is much wrong with my VGA as I also run a program called Trainz, and its as smooth as silk, and I know that FS 2004 ran really well on my computer before my HD was formatted

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

hmm someone has jerky frames due to a force feedback issue recently, are you using a feedback joystick?

Yes I am, but up until now, if it could be the joystick, it never gave a problem before

I am getting closer to solving the problem. The Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick was mentioned, so I disconnected it from the games port, which it has always been plugged, and voila, no problem, I could take off smoothly. Why has all this changed? As far as I know there is nothing wrong with this joystick as it worked in the past before I formatted HD, so why is it giving me a problem now? There is another port which I plugged it into, but I got no response. Got any ideas on that?

Great news Guys, I"ve fixed the problem by turning off one of the force feedback asignments and that did the trick, so thanks for your help guys the clue was the joystick, now I"m flying again. You guys are great!! Thanx

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thats great my friend.

Good guess Insight. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

😎

Pro Member Trainee
Bugsey Trainee

After all that Hype and excitement, I decided to re install Wings of Power, (which incidentally is worth getting), well, everything went well, I was back to Flying the WW2 bombers, everything a ok. Got back into the program today, and could not get any of the props to spin, checked the magneto switch, everything normal, pressed Ctrl-E to start engines, props stationary.This occurs on FS 2004 a/c as well. Any ideas?

Wow! This is great! I've been struggling with the same problem ever since I got the game. Extremely slow frame rate, <1 per second, when taking off/landing, and yes, I have a MS Sidewinder Pro Joystick.

Woohoo, I'm a happy man now! Thanks a lot!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...