uninstall aircraft

Sometimes I have problems with downloaded aircraft and want to uninstall them.

I have found that a straight delete is a bad idea as it invariably leads to the system not working and I get a message telling me there is an "initialisation" problem. At this point grief sets in and the only way out is to uninstall FS2004 and after removing all traces of downloaded aircraft do a reinstall.

There has to be an easier way and I expect others have found the same problems. Does anyone know the surefire way to uninstall unwanted downloaded aircraft from the FS2004 Aircraft folder?

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've always found that just deleting the folder of the aircraft you no longer want is the simplest way.
Yes you are possibly going to leave gauges, effects and other parts behind but if they didn't give you problems to start with they shouldn't give you any if they are just left behind.
If you have a self installer that you want to delete check in /Start/Programs/ and there should be an uninstall icon in the list.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Simply deleting the aircraft folder has always worked for me without any problems. It can leave some files such as gauges but other than taking up some hard drive space they do no harm.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think you mean FlightSim Manager.
Well i have this program but the uninstaller option does not contain any crafts in order to unistall them Dont Know .
Maybe i have done something wrong or didnt search it too much. Embarassed

The installation wizard seems that working but not for all the craft folders.

Although i prefer the manual way for install and unistall as the other Gents suggest. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

I think you mean FlightSim Manager.
Well i have this program but the uninstaller option does not contain any crafts in order to unistall them Dont Know .
Maybe i have done something wrong or didnt search it too much. Embarassed

The installation wizard seems that working but not for all the craft folders.

Although i prefer the manual way for install and unistall as the other Gents suggest. 😉

I think you have to use the program to install the aircraft before can uninstall them how that you jogged my memory. I have the program also but have not used it to install or remove aircraft. Use it mainly to scan for missing gauges etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

If i get you right you mean that for unistall a craft you have first install it by using this programm?
If yes its an interesting info.I thought that since it scans all the crafts it is going to keep them in a database or something and then give you the option to unistall.
I use it for scanning the Aircraft,gauges,textures etc and also i have use an option from the Tweak Wizard menu(Make me Bleed choice)and i notice improvment to my graphics performance.

Sorry Embarassed for my difficulty to get some of your points(jogged ❓ Embarassed )Im still working on my English. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Sorry I have a tendency to write like I talk ( in sloppy(bad) english) Embarassed jogged as in slapping me on the back of the head to start my memory.

It has been a while since I read the documentation but I think it makes a record of the files it installs so that they can be removed. As I said I have not used it in that capacity as I like to personally see where things are going on. Speeking of the install process I have been using a tool that may interest you. FreeComander http://freecommander.com/ it displays dual file windows allowing you to copy move etc. back and forth.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You dont have to sorry for your language my friend.Im the foreign here 😉 and i have to apologise...Anyway lets get to the point.

I get what you mean and i already download and install FC(Thanks a lot for the info ❗ )As a first view seems very useful.I will work on it and let you know.

Thanks again 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Sometimes I have problems with downloaded aircraft and want to uninstall them.

I have found that a straight delete is a bad idea...

In my experience it depends entirely on the way you installed the a/c.

If the author gave you the option of installing manually - and let's assume you did just that, deleting will cause no problems.

If the self-installer doesn't want to let you browse to a temporary directory so that you can see what's included in the package -- you'll have to make a decision : Install or not install.
The reason: If you can't see what's inside the package, it's quite possible that even though the author forces you to use the self-installer, he completely forgot to include an 'uninstaller' in the package.
Some of today's a/c are so complex (including freeware) that it's more like installing a program. We all know installing programs causes registry changes.

Now you've decided to uninstall... you've got no uninstaller and chances are, the a/c doesn't show up in add/remove programs either.
So you delete what you can find. Obviously, what you can't find - you can't delete.

Basically my advice is twofold :

1) If it seems impossible to install the a/c manually - don't do it.

2) If the readme file states "...just extract ...into your ...(where-ever)..." - don't do it.

Self-installer or not, always create a temp. folder so you can see what's there. You'll get a surprise sometimes to find what's there - or what's not there.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

You might find this of interest
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2644/flightsim-manager-285/

Yes, FlightSim Manager will remove aircraft and then check an remove unnecessary gauges, but if you have a lot of aircraft to remove, it takes forever.

mikealdeeb Guest

I certainly seem to have triggered a formidable response to my query which I will study after going out to collect the turkey. It really has been a problem for me on several occasions when the only alternative left to me has been a total uninstall/wipeout followed by re-install. It first happened when I deleted a downloaded DH "Beaver", with wheels.

I like the twin with the chequerboard engine nacelle decoration - what is it?

Christmas best wishes to you all from the eastern side of the pond.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

[quote="mikealdeeb"]I like the twin with the chequerboard engine nacelle decoration - what is it?
quote]

FS2004 Howard 500 Package with Virtural Cockpit
hw5vc4.zip

Pkg incl gMax fully animated, radial propelled, taildragger AC with "hand-flyer" flight dynamics, features a custom panel patterned after the RW N500HP, an easy-to-read fully functional virtual cockpit with day lighting and VC gauge backlighting for night, a special N500HP paint scheme by Joáo Paz and nice matching leather interior, sounds mixed to resemble the rw AC, specular highlites in the VC and Html checklists. This package will not work in FS2002.

Can be found on the flyaway downloads

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Did not realize you were not a member until after my reply.
You can also find on avsim

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=50721

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...