Instrument swapping?

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Can anyone point me to a document that covers swapping instruments from one plane to another? I'd like to put a more capable ADF indicator in the 172
SP, either a single or double needle radio magnetic compass, such as in the Beechcraft Baron 58.

HL

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

ok. well go to your flight sim aircraft folder, choose the aircraft and panel. open up the panel.cfg in dreamweaver or notepad or something.

next open up the panel.cfg of the aircraft with the instruments you want.

then what i would do here is search for a gauge called baron!adf or something it will be called. just copy the gauge name - not the position/size numbers and replace the c172!adf gauge.

sorry if that's not a very good explanation but i tried!

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

That pretty well covers it.

Adding changing gauges is not all that difficult if the gauges are already in the gauge folder. If need be you can adjust the numbers to position the gauge exactly where you want it.

One more thing, you do not have to exit and restart the sim to see the changes, just change airplanes after you install the new gauge and then change back again. The sim reloads the data for plane and the changes will show up.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Did you know that fs panel has a demo version tha allow you to previwe the gauge placement without starting fs9. As it is a demo version you can not save changes in the programe but if you are editing the panel.cfg in note pad you can quickly save you change in note pad and reopen the panel.cfg and scope out the change.
http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

One other suggestion, always print out the cfg. file before making any changes, that way if you need to go back to the original setup it's a lot easier to do.

You can also save the original cfg. file to CD and simply load it back in if need be.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

WarHawk42 wrote:

One other suggestion, always print out the cfg. file before making any changes, that way if you need to go back to the original setup it's a lot easier to do.

You can also save the original cfg. file to CD and simply load it back in if need be.

Along the same vain if you comment out the origional line a copy it below
you have a ready reference of the origional line built right in the file.

// origional line
origional line with new values // this one will run

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

That is true, I just find them easier to work with if I have a printed copy. Fe me it's easier to look them over that way. The "//" will make them inactive and still leave them in.

Pro Member First Officer

That should get me started. Thanks all. Or am I being a wuss? Do real men/women only fly planes whose ADF indicators have compass cards that have to be manually adjusted?

HL

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

😂 A lot of the planes I fly don't even have radios.

I do sometimes use ADF and VOR when flying the Cessna 172, but the ones on board work fine for me.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

HardLanding wrote:

That should get me started. Thanks all. Or am I being a wuss? Do real men/women only fly planes whose ADF indicators have compass cards that have to be manually adjusted?

HL

Thats the beauty of fs you can talor your air caraft to your liking, have as much or as little help as you want. I have to admit I have contemplated altering aircraft.cfg for the early stuff so that gps is not available. I sometime cheat a take a peek. Embarassed That plus putting a fan so it would blow air in my face to make it a little more relistic.

Pro Member First Officer

All the instructions worked fine. I substituted into the standard 172SP's panel the "Bendix King ADF slaved" that's used in the 182C Nav Trainer. Now I don't have to grope for that HDG adjuster when intercepting an NDB heading, which is where I am now in my nav and NDB approach practice sessions.

HL

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...