Disturbing Rain Patterns

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Often, I load up a railny flight, and I'll be taxiing for departure, and the rain would suddenly stop. Why does this happen. I don't think it's because my CPU can't handle it. What could it be? I've set the weather rate of change for medium, however I don't think at medium, it should cut off during taxi. THanks for your replies.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

The same happens to me most of times and i was curious too... Dont Know Anyway...if i want to take off with rain i select Runway and not a Gate or Ramb in the Flight Planner and Straight out departure to the ATC in order to take off the sooner...Maybe fool but it works... Umm...

madbrit Guest

crosscheck9 wrote:

Often, I load up a railny flight, and I'll be taxiing for departure, and the rain would suddenly stop. Why does this happen. I don't think it's because my CPU can't handle it. What could it be? I've set the weather rate of change for medium, however I don't think at medium, it should cut off during taxi. THanks for your replies.

Well the rain has to stop somewhere I guess. Just happens to be half way across the airport.

Are you using real world weather? The snapshots are taken every 15 minutes so maybe in the previous download it was raining, in the current download it isn't.

It probably comes down to the software having either an 'on' or 'off' setting for rain and nothing in between.

It's the same with a moving storm. Set up a thunder storm at one airport with a specific wind direction at 30kts. Put yourself at an airport in its path in clear weather about 10 miles away and sit and wait. You would expect to be able to see the storm clouds gradually build up over the next 20 minutes but I don't think that happens.

The weather software in FS isn't likely to be able to calculate too precisely the growing or diminishing weather effects over distance.

I believe there are settings in FSUIPC to put in the percentage of weather change over time. If you have it you might try reducing the percentage to say 1% per minute and see what that does.

Let us know.

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

I find it very unlikely that rain stops before my departure EVERY single time. I think there are some incorrect settings. The sim is able to determine how weather changes over time, (not distance), because it gives you the option of change that rate, (I've tried). Anyone have any ideas. Has this happened to anyone else before, or is it just me and Greekman? Thanks for your help.

Crosscheck9

madbrit Guest

OK. I take it that you are using your own weather settings and not realworld weather.

Let me have the airport, time of day, season etc and all the weather settings you have put in together with any other information you feel is relevant (weather set for this locatin only or global setting etc).

Also the FSUIPC weather settings might be having an effect so what you have those set to would be helpful.

I'll see if I get the same effect or can spot what's happening.

madbrit Guest

Did some quick 'Sherlock' tests and discovered the weather rate of change is the likely culprit.

With a 'medium' setting the rain stopped after about 5 minutes.

Set the rate of change to 'none' and it kept on coming down.

Just to validate I set the change to 'extreme' and the rain stopped after about 1 minute.

Put it back to 'medium' and the rain lasted 5 minutes.

So with a setting of 'medium' it is 'very likely' the rain will stop during taxi EVERY single time unless you can get to the runway any quicker.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you zoom out from "top down "view,you will find it only rains about 20ft around you 😳
Not helping with your problem I know Embarassed but I think our guest madbrit may have your answer 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...