Whats a good descent rate in a Airbus A319-100?

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Hey All,

Just been flying around the place and although I am making good landings at various airports, I am still not sure if my descent rate is good, cause the landings are still a lil bit hard.

I am currently landing at about 250-350ft/min with full flaps at about 130knots.

How does that sound?

Thanks
Leachus

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Speed and flap position look good. Rate of descent should be less. Don't use VSI to land. Eyes should be outside the cockpit. All aircraft don't have a VSI. The way your landing is not bad. You could be a little closer, say 100-200 FPM. Landing at the proper speed and tonchdown point is more important than how soft you tonchdown. In a jet, you don't want a feather light tonchdown. Spoilers operate via squat switiches on the gear. If you try to hold it off for a very light tonchdown, you will float and use up runway. Don't forget to arm the spolier if required for your type of aircraft; some auto deploy.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

What's VSI?

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Vertical Speed Indicator I think.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Vertical speed indicator (VSI) reads rate of climb or descent.

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Can I just ask a newbie type question plz.....

To lower my rate of descent to I have to pull up or level out?

I would have thought to pull up.

Also, if I lower my speed before my ILS approach, would this help, or does the glide slope always take you down at the same descent rate?

Thanks
Leachus

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Use thrust to make a descent shallower or steeper, don't move the yoke around willy nilly. Look for other posts on the same subject, you'll find a treasure trove of knowledge 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

You're correct to Pull back to decrease your rate of descent. You should slow your airspeed for the ILS. The ILS normally gives you a constant 3 degree angle to the runway. It does not give you a constant rate of descent. Use the elevator for small up and down corrections on the ILS and use power to control airspeed. This is the way the autopilot handles the ILS.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...