Clouds and Rain Framerate Drop

LuigiMan Guest

In FS2004, whenever I go through a cloud or just make the camera look at a mass of clouds, the framerate will drop to 10 fps or skip every 4 or 5 seconds, or both. This also happens when it is raining. It is worse when I'm in virtual cockpit and spot plane views. Also, when I don't have the window maximized, the framerate will increase, but it will still be below average.

I'm running Windows XP with an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card. I normally get a solid 20-30 fps without any rain or many clouds. Snow is fine. I have tried messing with the weather settings and decreasing air traffic, but the framerate still drops. How can I fix this?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Dont Know Any change in the intensity of the graphics will change the FPS. Just flying over a city will be completely different (frame wise) than flying over the vast emptiness of Alaska.
The only way out of this would be to get the best video card available and even then you're going to see fluctuations in your FPS.
Sometimes the "jerkiness" of the aircraft can be attributed to the unfragged H/D or the overloaded H/D. But even then H/D's for the most part are crap. None of the big manufacturers put a decent drive in their machines. Doh!

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

You could also try the FS2004 Frame Rate Patch:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/766/fs2004-frame-rate-fix/ 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...