Long Haul Flight or Short Haul flights?

Which type of flights are better, long haul or short haul?
Long haul
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Short Haul
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]

Total Votes : 18

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Which one???

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain

I think that Short Haul flights are better because you can get soo bored on the Longer ones and it doesn't keep the excitment up. Short Haul flights are more busier and fun!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I guess my approach is, if you're doing it right, it isn't supposed to be exciting.

That said, picture this:

Your flying at FL360 at a speed reasonably below maximum. The winds change and you are now seriously overspeed. If you aren't paying attention, you lose the plane and all onboard.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I can see where yr coming from - good point

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I guess my approach is, if you're doing it right, it isn't supposed to be exciting.

I read an account of a flight from a Captain of a 747 flying from Central America which was posted here, saying that if you are not doing something constantly, you are missing or overlooking something. The Captain said that for a 10 hour flight, there is always plenty to do 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

That means I'll be busy. 😉 I'm going to start a flight from KLAX to RJAA in about a half hour. Planned time is 11 hours 45 minutes. Later this week, it's RJAA to WSSS for 7 hours 20 minutes, and ultimately the reverse, homeward bound.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If under 1,000 is considered a short haul that's what I like. I get bored easily and my DC-3 can't travel the world.
It's mainly a cargo hauler and can land just about anywhere.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

i like flying 737's and the dc-9 family, but thats cuz i don't think im ready for the big ones yet but ill probably like them when i get there

Pro Member Chief Captain

It is always best to fly what you are comfortable wit. The object is to enjoy what you are doing. I've been using FS since version 1.0, but it has only been during the past year that I am able to reliably land a 747. I guess I am a slow learner. 😂

Hanging out here has been a valuable learning experience.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i'm a fan of small business jets myself

that said i do enjoy flying a crj or 737.

i seem to only like planes that can go fast...

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

i like,small hauls,i get bored so so so easily! 🙄

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i prefer short haul, simply because i get to practice my take off and landings more, plus i dont have as much time as some of you guys!! 😉

Long haul is fun sometimes though.

Micah

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I prefer long hauls. I like to travel long distances inside a big aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the most enjoyable partof flying is making a perfect landing, short haul just so it won't be long till i land Surprised

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Q: Which type of flights are better, long haul or short haul?

A: "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder." I don't think there are better or worse flights as such. Further, if you ask which flights I prefer, I can't answer that either.
There is no good or bad regarding flights in FS IMO. I choose a flight (a/c, route, weather etc.) according to my mood or the task I'm setting myself at the moment.
I thoroughly enjoy both long- and short haul flights. Radar

Cambridge Guest

I like long haul adventure-style flights in small modern propeller aircraft. For example, one of the things I'd like to try when I get better at landing is to fly the "Ring of Fire" and take screenshots of all the major volcanos.

I'm still trying to wittle down my fleet to 3 aircraft that I can learn to fly well and also cover any kind of adventure I come up with. So far it's:

- Under 1,000km range: Diamond HK-36 TTC115
- Over 1,000km range: Rutan Boomerang
- ???: something amphibious/with floats

Pro Member Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

i like,small hauls,i get bored so so so easily! 🙄

Well, I'm on an 11 hour 45 minute trip from Los Angeles to Tokyo. It was fairly routine until I got to the western pacific. when I hit crosswinds that varied from 30 to 90 kts. Additionally, for the entire length of the Kamchatka (sp?) peninsula there was a huge area of thunder and lightning with up and downdrafts to really rock the 747.

It has calmed down now and I am glad. We ran out of airsick bags.

I've got about 60 minutes to go and don't feel bored at all.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...