Steering Wheel for Taxiing?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

First of all, I'd like to say hi to everyone. I'm new here, registered a few days ago.. I've been using flight simulator a few months only, so I am not very experienced.. Just started learning to use flight instruments. I'm only 16 years old, and would like to become a pilot some day 🙂

Now to the topic - taxiing.

Don't airplanes have their own "steering wheel" for taxiing? I think I remember visiting a museum where you could enter the cockpit of an old MD plane, and I asked what that little steering wheel was, and the guy told me it was for steering the nose wheel..

On FS I just use the rudder to taxi, is there a better way?

Tnx in advance!

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Welcome to Fly AwaY SeanGa. 👍

As far as i know i dont thing that there is another way except rudder. Dont Know

😉

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

ok, but just to get it straight.. they don't use the rudder in real life, do they?

btw, isn't it kinda weird that the nose wheel turns by moving the rudder? or would this be normal in real life?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

SeanGa wrote:

ok, but just to get it straight.. they don't use the rudder in real life, do they?

btw, isn't it kinda weird that the nose wheel turns by moving the rudder? or would this be normal in real life?

According to my small knowledges they are using a small whell or in newer crafts something like joystick in order to turn on the taxiways.
Yes maybe its weird but according that this is Computer simmulator they didnt (MS)thing that its very important to add something like that in the already limited space they had in order to show the gauges etc.

These are what i know Embarassed ...wait for some more experts than me in order to get more specific answers about it. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

I don't know about the big planes, but in my C172, the rudder pedals are attached to the nosewheel for steering. When u use the rudder pedals, the nose wheel turns, as well as the rudder. The brakes are also used by pushing on the top of the rudder pedals.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

aha.. so thats why the nose wheel turns when I move the rudder.. would be weird if the whole airplane turned while taxiing just by moving the rudder.. too little friction.

thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

In jet's and large turboprops, the Captain or PIC on the left side of the aircraft has a small control commonly called a tiller. This is used to make slow, small diameter turns. The authority varies by aircraft but is approximately 60 degrees left and right. The rudder pedals still steer the aircraft just as in the C-172. The range for the pedals is about 10 degrees. The pedal alone will give you enough control for most turns. The co-pilot or First Officer(FO) has pedals of course but no tiller. The captain normally does all taxiing. On very large aircraft like the 777 or 747, it is almost impossible to taxi without a tiller. I think that a second tiller is on the FO side just in case he needs to taxi.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

interesting post CRJCapt.. but I guess it's not possible to use the tiller in FS right?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

No. The rudder is all that you have. It has enough authority to steer you through turns. A tiller wouldn't work very well on a computer. You don't need it. Rudder pedals are enough and work well for taxiing. As a plus, you have independent toe brakes. 🙂

They always can use engines to steer on the taxiways, don't they? I have seen it on B737 or A319 on SXF.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Well I'm 95% sure that Boeing's do not have a nose wheel tiller.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

CRJ, it's kind of hard to see how you would use it. Do you have to pull it out first and then turn it?

Thanks...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

You just turn it. I've seen some in a more horizontal position that you have to push down(spring loaded) slightly to use. This is to prevent inadvertent movement. Not sure if this one has to be pressed inward slightly to function.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

Well I'm 95% sure that Boeing's do not have a nose wheel tiller.

This 747-400 does have a nose wheel tiller.

http://images.airliners.net/photos/photos/2/6/8/972862.jpg

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...