ILS Help

Rich123 Guest

Help ! I can not figure out how to set up fs2004 to have autopilot land the 737. I am trying to get the feel for landing and need the help. I set the autopilot for gps and set the nav1 frequency for the ils that I want.

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Hello You may find this handy its for fs2000 but it will point you in the right direction and you should be landing in no time

Remember auto pilot cannot land for you its an aid for lining you up and getting the correct altitude proir to landing

Hope it helps

rich123 Guest

I am not sure how to set it up so that I can get the airplane at the correct altitude and heading with autopilot. Landing is no problem but I would like to be able to set up a flight plan and have a nice approach when I reach my destination.
Thanks in advance.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Why not try using the flight planner in fs9 and then atc will direct you all the way to intrsept the ILS. The easy way to find the ILS freq is to click the map on the panel then click on the airport .

The only thing I find with ATC is that it likes to have you down at say 2500ft way before you need to be.Then your burning fuel for about 4 miles untill you hit the glide slope,and if you try to judge it just right they go and cancel ATC services.

There is a way arround this by canceling ATC yourself and then tune in via nearest airport list.
Sorry I started to go on a bit

Hope it helps

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I am not sure how to set it up so that I can get the airplane at the correct altitude and heading with autopilot. Landing is no problem but I would like to be able to set up a flight plan and have a nice approach when I reach my destination.
Thanks in advance.

Maybe in the beginning just try and do it without ATC until you get a little practice.

enter the ILS frequency for your chosen runway before you take off in the Nav 1 radio
Do a fairly short flight, say 15 minutes or so and try and postion yourself about 18 miles from the airport at around 4000 feet and 200 knots.
At first I would try flying straight in on the runway for practice.

Make sure the Heading is set to the runway heading.

Set AP on and hit APR. You must be under the glideslope at this point. After the airplane crosses the glideslope the AP will fly it down onto the runway.
You must control flaps, airspeed, and landing gear.

Just roughly, I would put the gear down about 8 or 10 miles out and flaps to 20 at around 8 miles out and speed around 150 to 160.
Small adjustments to get you at full flaps by around 3 to 4 miles out.

You want to end up at about 140 knots and full flaps about 500 feet off the runway. You can turn off the AP at about this time and let it gently float down onto the runway. Just before touchdown, bring the nose up 5 degrees.

Keep an eye on the airspeed as you fly the approach.. Until you get a lot of practice, it's very easy to take your eyes off the instruments and let yourself slow too much and end up stalling the aircraft half a mile from touchdown.

this is just a very rough guide so don't take it too literally... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Finally yesterday I learned how to do ILS landings. However I still have problems to line up with the runway.
When ATC says, "American 005 you are 26 miles from the airport, turn heading 060 decend and maintain 4000 until established on the localizer"......if runway heading is 093 should I turn to that heading instead of 060? These numbers are for San Diego-Lindbergh. On my first attempt I just turned 060 and intercepted the ILS but ended up to far left, the next time I turned to 093 and landed perfectly centered with the runway.
So, should I always ignore the heading given by the ATC and turn to runway heading?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

From 26 miles out You are approaching from the right of the airport and a heading of 60 will track you towards the airport and through the ILS so the auto pilot will engage Ermm... hang on

Right Ive just flown the approach from 30miles out runway 27 🤔 I think you are selecting auto pilot too soon Wait for the magenta bars to move so you are flying towards them(maybe you found a glitch but from 26 miles out there is another beacon on the same freq)and thats what you are picking up.
dont switch to auto pilot untill you see the magenta altitude marker appear on screen(About 20 miles) then all should be ok
So follow ATC and try that with the auto pilot

Give it a go and let us know

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

I'm getting there using ILS but not quite yet.
Once I intercept ils I hit APPR and let the autopilot do the trick(I am able to fly by hand from take off to landing...just for the record), should I turn off altitude hold for the plane to follow the glideslope or once I press APPR it overrides alt. hold? I'm never really sure what to do and I'm always turning AP on and off while on approach.
Help someone

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 The ATC in fs9 tends to set you up below the glide slope,so A/P will disengage the alt hold for you as it flies through the glide slope.
Then at about 1000/800ft flick auto p. off and bring her down
Its best to try and get used to manually adjusting the thrust/throttle levers
to hold your desired speed for landing

Hope this helps

Good luck

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Finally I can manage ILS landings.
Thanks tomthetank for all of your comments and help in becoming a better man...... 😂 , well maybe just a better pilot.
I haven't tried the San Diego approach again, but I did a cross-country ILS practice; I flew north from San Diego all the way up to Canada and then I turned east towards New York City.
I now have a few ILS apps. under my belt.

See you around,

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Yes If your passengers are not screaming any more then its a job well done 👍

Keep up the good work

Rich123 wrote:

Help ! I can not figure out how to set up fs2004 to have autopilot land the 737. I am trying to get the feel for landing and need the help. I set the autopilot for gps and set the nav1 frequency for the ils that I want.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Check out our ILS tutorials at:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...