Taildraggers

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I note that FS2004 recommends forward pressure on the stick when taking off to get the tail to lift. I have found that this is not necessary as when the aircraft is ready for flight the tail will lift at flying speed without the need for any stick pressure at all - I leave it central.

I figured that putting the elevators into a nose-down position creates drag which will slow the plane down.

The only Taildragger I have encountered that needs help to get the tail up is the Vickers "Viking" which shows marked reluctance to lift. It also appears to take a lot of runway to unstick. The restoration team of the Brooklands "Viking" recommend no flaps deployed on takeoff.

I wonder what others have experienced. The "Tiger Moth" practically floats into the sky by itself.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

With any new tail-dragger I load I don't touch the stick and let the aircraft go down the runway by itself. As you have said they lift the tail by themselves (if they are well built) and take of and climb, all without touching the stick.
The few that don't I usually find aren't that good in the air either.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

It works both ways, but I am pretty sure real taildragger pilots did (and do) apply forward pressure as soon as they can get their Ass off the ground. After all it is better to take off with the tailhook still attached Twisted Evil

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The first advantage to getting the tail up as quick as possible is forward visibility.

In theory at least you can get off the ground quicker (shorter take off run) with the tail up and this does relate to drag. Think about it, the small amount of drag from the elevator is nothing compared to the drag of the wings at the angle to the wind with the tail on the ground.

If you have a cross wind that is another advantage to getting the tail up quickly, the plane will be more stable with the tail up.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

It works both ways, but I am pretty sure real taildragger pilots did (and do) apply forward pressure as soon as they can get their Ass off the ground. After all it is better to take off with the tailhook still attached Twisted Evil

I have to protest : Not all taildraggers have a tailhook ❗ ❗

😀

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I thought that was probably the case. I wonder what is the purpose of gentle forward pressure, as recommended in the Learning info, as the secondary comment appears "be careful not to put the plane on its nose" (or words to that effect). As you say it seems to go back to design.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Be cautious might have been a better way to put it. When the tail starts to come up you have to make sure it doesn't go too far or you will stuff the nose in the ground. Keep just enough pressure on the stick to keep the plane level and as the plane gains speed you won't be using any pressure at all.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...