Paging Greekman72

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

There are two airports near Athens. One is southwest of Athens below Faliron Bay, near Glifada. The other is southeast of Athens, just west of Ziorti Bay. Just when I need Google Earth to labels on things, it doesn't have them.

What are their names and what types of flights are associated with each?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I realize I asked this question while you were sound asleep. I gotta get used to different time zones. I'm assuming the first is LGAT and the second is LGAV.

I'm primarily interested in what kind of traffic goes in and out of LGAT, Hellinikon.

2nd EDIT: Oops. Hellinikon closed. That screws up my idea. What airport is there other than LGAV that would be useable for 767 sized aircraft?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Its ok Crash.

LGAV = Eleftherios Venizelos
LGAT = Ellinikon.

Well the first (new airport)is LGAV and its the international airport of Athens and the biggest in Greece and one of the biggests in Europe.

LGAT was the international airport of Athens before LGAV opens.Now as you had notice correctly, is closed and its being using only for the local aero-club and occasionaly for medical purposes(medical-helicopters or crafts)

In the list below there are 4 other Airports sorted by distance from Athens.

LGTT 15.5 miles
LGEL 17.3 miles
LGMG 18.6 miles
LGTG 31 miles

Unfortunately as you can see both 4 airports are military ones. Crying or Very sad

Maybe in some Maps you will notice also the LGMR(Marathon) but its a small airport which was using only for small prop crafts of the local aero-club and now it has turned to Heliport with a short runway for small crafts.

I hope i was helpful.Let me know if i can help you with any other way .... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thank you for the information. Too bad about LGAT. FS has a nice tower there.

Moving further away from Athens, I see a civil airport, LGRP, with an 11,000 ft. runway There also appears to be a smaller airport just to the west of it. I'd appreciate any information you might have about them.

Thanks again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

They are both located in the island of Rhodes.

LGRP ➡

Diagoras (LGRP) Airport, the first airport of entry from the Middle East, is located on the Northern shore of the island of Rhodes just West of the city of Rodos. Just south of the airport there is elevated terrain and either fog or winds can make approaches quite interesting. The ILS approach to runway 25 provides some comfort but the proximity of Turkish airspace limits this.

LGRD ➡

Special attention should be given to not confuse the old Maritsa airport, close to the South of Diagoras, which is now use solely by the military.

Sorry for my late reply but im still in office... 😉 Let me know if you need something more or more specific and i ll try to help. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks, Greekman. These might do very well. The information you provided is very helpful.

I'll make sure to stay out of Turkish airspace. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Thanks, Greekman. These might do very well. The information you provided is very helpful.

I'll make sure to stay out of Turkish airspace. 😉

ROFL ROFL ROFL

If you have to get in(especially in the easter part)take your GUB with you...just in case... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll do that. 😂

Thanks again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I'll do that. 😂

Thanks again.

Always a pleasure Crash. 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...