Midair/Climb Stall

Im in a 747, trying to climb to a crusing altitude of 35000. I'm doing alright till I turn on the autopilot with the setting at 35000. I usually hit the autopilot at around 25000. My airspeed the proceeds to slowly drop till I stall. Should I be hitting autothrottle and setting the airspeed at say...275? Even if I don't do that, the autopilot seems to kill my airspeed whenever I turn it on. Or I shouldn't even turn the AP on till I hit crusising altitude?

Btw, random question, are the windshield wipers?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

What vertical speed have you set? Are your flaps fully retracted?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Like CG said, you will need to give us a few more details about your flight. At the moment, it sounds like you are fairly heavy and are trying to climb at too higher rate, losing speed and thus stalling.

Windshield wipers are wipers that operate on the front windows of the cockpit so pilots can see a bit better 😉

haha, I actaully meant, are there any windshield wipers on FS?

Hhhhmmm...I think I might be trying to climb too fast and have the vertical speed set too high on the autopilot. I nvr checked what it was when I hit the autopilot. I left it at w/e it set itself to. The 747 is a full load too. Probably should stick with my Cessna and Mooney for now, but I just thought I'd play with the 747.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

haha, I actaully meant, are there any windshield wipers on FS?

😂 Sorry, you didn't type your question properly so I assumed what you were asking 🙄

Anonymous wrote:

Hhhhmmm...I think I might be trying to climb too fast and have the vertical speed set too high on the autopilot. I nvr checked what it was when I hit the autopilot. I left it at w/e it set itself to. The 747 is a full load too. Probably should stick with my Cessna and Mooney for now, but I just thought I'd play with the 747.

It should be set to around 2200 FPM below 10000 feet and then to 1500 FPM below 25000 feet, and then 1000 FPM to cruising altitude 😉

If you want A/P to finish climbing, try to keep the vertical Speed at 1800 so it will climb slowly while gaining speed. If you have your vertical speed more the 1800 then the slower your speed goes down causing stalling.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

If you want A/P to finish climbing, try to keep the vertical Speed at 1800 so it will climb slowly while gaining speed. If you have your vertical speed more the 1800 then the slower your speed goes down causing stalling.

One size does not fit all. Read the post above yours. Planes are not capable of the same rate oif climb at FL300 as they are at FL100

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...