Boeing 747 Landing Tips

Pro Member Trainee
captainmarvel Trainee

can anyone give me some tips on landing 747's, my decents are terrible and im always hitting the tarmac to hard and too fast.......cheers....

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

captainmarvel,

Welcome to Fly Away. May I suggest to go through the lessons first. The 747 is way to large of an aircraft to start off with. But if you need to know how to land there is what is called the kneeboard within FLight Sim. There is a bunch of controls or more like interfaces where you can find data about your aircraft and open up the ATC window to comunicate. If your getting the 747 off of the ground that is a good accomplishment. Hang out here for a little bit and someone may be able to mentor you better than I can. Enjoy the site.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Welcome aboard captainmarvel Group Wave

I agree with edr, you must go through the flying lessons and read the material in order to fly the bigger aircraft. Until then, keep your speed low, (160 KIAS) and flare 20 feet above the runway to avoid hitting it hard and use full flaps

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Captain, provided you are familiar with the lessons and operations of the 747, I'll just give you a few pointers to keep in mind.

1. The 747 is a massive aircraft, once it starts going down, it's hard to bring it back up. Try and even off the descent rate and slowly drift down to the runway, provided your approach is far enough away from the airport to allow sufficient time for a smooth descent.

2. Use flaps to your advantage. As you lower them, you can fly slower without worrying about stalling the aircraft. try to hit the pavement between 155-170KIAS, at your choice of speed. Note that this is my PERSONAL landing speeds, not from the book, I spent lots of time figuring out the tricks and whatnot of the 747.

3. Don't flare and cut throttle too fast. You'll drop like a stone! Wait untill you are about 20-50 feet above the runway to dump your engines all the way to idle, then very gently pull back on the stick.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...