Triming

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Hi,

I have noticed that everyone uses the trim in Fs2004 to fly. This seems a really amateur q but can someone tell me what it is used for e.g landing or takeoff.. and what is its job? How do I use it and how will it affect my approaches etc..

Mike

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Trim is used to take pressure "off the stick" In other words, you can use it to produce level flight or climb or descent. Similarly, you can also use it to maintain a heading by compensating for winds.

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

I used to fly with trim, but now I let the AP do it.

But I mainly fly long flights with FSP with time compression going.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

SteveT wrote:

Hi,

I have noticed that everyone uses the trim in Fs2004 to fly. This seems a really amateur q but can someone tell me what it is used for e.g landing or takeoff.. and what is its job? How do I use it and how will it affect my approaches etc..

Mike

This addon may be of interest

New! RealTrim 1.0

File Description:
RealTrim is a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004(tm) module that makes trimming aircrafts more realistic and resemble real-life. It can be activated via key- or button-press when the sim-pilot moves the joystick from deflection to neutral, hence converting the movement of the joystick into movement of the trim wheel. This matches real-life where back/forward pressure on the elevator applied by the pilot is trimmed out by ONE operation: moving the trim-wheel. As the sim-pilot smoothly moves the joystick into neutral position RealTrim automatically adjusts the elevator trim by a corresponding amount. The airplane keeps its current pitch configuration - only ONE control input is required instead of the pilots having to move the joystick into neutral while tapping the trim-key. RealTrim also comes with an option to reduce trim increments making it more precise to adjust trim in flight with the trim up/down keys.

Filename: realtrim-1-0.zip
License: Freeware, limited distribution
Added: 1st February 2006
Downloads: 783
Author: Nils Meier
Size: 53kb

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=80716

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

That looks like a good download 👍 Downloading it now...

😉

Pro Member Trainee
uzi121 Trainee

When installing realtrim, u say there are 2 files ie, realtrim.dll and realtrim.ini. I can only see the realtrim.dll file, so im confused as to where the realtrim.ini file is. Could you plz help me out

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

uzi121 wrote:

When installing realtrim, u say there are 2 files ie, realtrim.dll and realtrim.ini. I can only see the realtrim.dll file, so im confused as to where the realtrim.ini file is. Could you plz help me out

After extracting the contents of realtrim-1-0.zip you'll see 4 items.
There are 2 .txt files, 1 .dll file and another one.

Put the .dll and the other file into the module folder of FS.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

uzi121 wrote:

Both files were in the zip file downloaded. There were four files in all the AVSIM.diz realtrim.dll, realtrim.ini and realtrim.txt. You might try getting another download, or you can use the link below and download the realtrim.ini placed there.

http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3E9W77WL84KRX05GTUODLK5CU4

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Trimming

Trimming controls allow a pilot to balance the lift and drag being produced by the wings and control surfaces over a wide range of load and airspeed. This reduces the effort required to adjust or maintain a desired flight attitude. Small tabs on control surfaces can be moved with a cockpit trim control to remove control force. Does not change the joystick physical position in flight simulation. Allows you to release most of the force(let your controller self-center) while staying close to the position you desire.🙂

See previous post:
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11675/controlling-aircraft-in-fs2004/#71780

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...