Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

"fuzzy lettering"

verygom
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:12 am 

On a couple of downloads I have the lettering on the side of the aircraft appears out of focus generally but can be pulled in to focus by using the zoom facility in spot view/active camera. Is this a function of repaint/texture problems at birth or is there something I can do to cure it?
Tailhook
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:45 am 

I have encountered the same anomaly many times. Not being a repainter myself, I can only guess that the source of the problem lies with the method the repainter used in his creation... or perhaps the graphics editor being used is not up to the task. I too am groping in the dark, but given that the problem only appears in certain repaints/textures my guess is that to rectify the problem once and for all, a rebirth of the creation would be appropriate.

I know this is not the solution you were hoping for - but I'm sure our gifted in-house painters will provide us with a more sensible explanation and hopefully a solution to the problem.

It's just a matter of getting hold of them. Help!
sonicninja
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:05 pm 

if you could give me an example of an aircraft i will take a look at this for you and see if I can resolve it. Smile
verygom
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:22 pm 

Thanks Sonic - here is a sample: The 'clear' aircraft is an original download, the "G-BARS" aircraft is a downloaded repaint of the original.
davec
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:23 pm 

verygom wrote:
On a couple of downloads I have the lettering on the side of the aircraft appears out of focus generally but can be pulled in to focus by using the zoom facility in spot view/active camera. Is this a function of repaint/texture problems at birth or is there something I can do to cure it?

There are several reasons for 'fuzziness', some might be corrected by going into 'FS Settings/Hardware/ and setting Mip Mapping to not more then '4' - also select 'Anti-aliasing'
Another reason is that Textures may not have been formatted. in ''extended Bit map' or the textures could be formatted to include MIPS.
There are other reasons, but too technical to explain in less than an A4 page.
It would be strange if an experienced repainter released a repaint texture that did result in 'fuzziness'
davec
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:44 pm 

After looking at your example of the repaint above - I don't think any adjusting of Settngs/Hardware is going to make that repaint better - but you never know. Rolling Eyes

Certainly looks as if the bit map texture file has been saved in an in appropriate format. Where did you download the texture? - would be interesting to have a look at it
verygom
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:02 pm 

Thanks Guys - another example of the swift help you get from FAS.

Dave - I went into 'settings' and switched on 'antialiasing' (whatever that is! Embarassed ) and G-BARS now appears as:-

That has made it a lot better so I guess that was what was required Smile
It's worked with the other D/L's as well

Thanks again
verygom
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:08 pm 

Dave - the repaint can be found at Arrow
davec
Captain
Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:13 pm 

Glad to be of help.
Will have a look at that download an check it out - will let you know.
hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:09 pm 

that repaint is fuzzy because as mentioned above it is in a format that includes mip maps. frankly mip maps on aircraft textures are pointless and annoying! i really can't see the use. if you download a program called DXTBmp you can open the textures and resave as DXT3 - without mip maps, then all your textures will be sharp and crispy.
verygom
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:25 pm 

Link please Hinch?? - Is this a 'global' fix for textures in general or applied on a case by case basis??
hinch
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:37 pm 

case by cae i'm afraid - but if you only fly a few aircraft it's no problem.

here's the link:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2883/dxtbmp-dxt-extended-bitmap-editor/

it's a simple case of opening the texture and clicking save. the standard box windows box will come up where you choose a file name and file type, make sure the type is set to DXT3.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:02 pm 

Thanks Hinch
verygom
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:04 pm 

Sorry Embarassed it was me above