"fuzzy lettering"

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

On a couple of downloads I have the lettering on the side of the aircraft appears out of focus generally but can be pulled in to focus by using the zoom facility in spot view/active camera. Is this a function of repaint/texture problems at birth or is there something I can do to cure it?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I have encountered the same anomaly many times. Not being a repainter myself, I can only guess that the source of the problem lies with the method the repainter used in his creation... or perhaps the graphics editor being used is not up to the task. I too am groping in the dark, but given that the problem only appears in certain repaints/textures my guess is that to rectify the problem once and for all, a rebirth of the creation would be appropriate.

I know this is not the solution you were hoping for - but I'm sure our gifted in-house painters will provide us with a more sensible explanation and hopefully a solution to the problem.

It's just a matter of getting hold of them. Help!

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

if you could give me an example of an aircraft i will take a look at this for you and see if I can resolve it. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Sonic - here is a sample: The 'clear' aircraft is an original download, the "G-BARS" aircraft is a downloaded repaint of the original.

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

verygom wrote:

On a couple of downloads I have the lettering on the side of the aircraft appears out of focus generally but can be pulled in to focus by using the zoom facility in spot view/active camera. Is this a function of repaint/texture problems at birth or is there something I can do to cure it?

There are several reasons for 'fuzziness', some might be corrected by going into 'FS Settings/Hardware/ and setting Mip Mapping to not more then '4' - also select 'Anti-aliasing'
Another reason is that Textures may not have been formatted. in ''extended Bit map' or the textures could be formatted to include MIPS.
There are other reasons, but too technical to explain in less than an A4 page.
It would be strange if an experienced repainter released a repaint texture that did result in 'fuzziness'

Pro Member Captain

After looking at your example of the repaint above - I don't think any adjusting of Settngs/Hardware is going to make that repaint better - but you never know. 🙄

Certainly looks as if the bit map texture file has been saved in an in appropriate format. Where did you download the texture? - would be interesting to have a look at it

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Guys - another example of the swift help you get from FAS.

Dave - I went into 'settings' and switched on 'antialiasing' (whatever that is! Embarassed ) and G-BARS now appears as:-

That has made it a lot better so I guess that was what was required 🙂
It's worked with the other D/L's as well

Thanks again

Pro Member First Officer

Dave - the repaint can be found at ➡

Pro Member Captain

Glad to be of help.
Will have a look at that download an check it out - will let you know.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

that repaint is fuzzy because as mentioned above it is in a format that includes mip maps. frankly mip maps on aircraft textures are pointless and annoying! i really can't see the use. if you download a program called DXTBmp you can open the textures and resave as DXT3 - without mip maps, then all your textures will be sharp and crispy.

Pro Member First Officer

Link please Hinch?? - Is this a 'global' fix for textures in general or applied on a case by case basis??

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

case by cae i'm afraid - but if you only fly a few aircraft it's no problem.

here's the link:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2883/dxtbmp-dxt-extended-bitmap-editor/

it's a simple case of opening the texture and clicking save. the standard box windows box will come up where you choose a file name and file type, make sure the type is set to DXT3.

Thanks Hinch

Pro Member First Officer

Sorry Embarassed it was me above

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...