737 Landing

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Does anybody have any tips on landing the 737?

Ive only tried it a couple of times and I dont pitch up in time so I always land too hard....duh.

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Try the lessons in FS9.

Meanwhile, keep your speed at around 140 knots on approach with full flaps

Make sure you are on the glideslope all of the way down. Use Visual Flight Path in "Aircraft" menu if needs be

At 10-20 feet, pull back on the stick to increase the nose slightly. If your VSI increases, don't pull back any more because you will float down the runway.

Good luck 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

sure, i prefer the 737 or A321

When on approach and are about 8 miles DME from touchdown i lower my landing gear and apply upto 10 flaps, then when im on the glideslope i increase flaps in nice amounts while keeping the thrust equal to the flaps. I try to be at around 137-147 KIAS on approach and the glideslope (depending how heavy you are) When you hear the GPWS call 10 i flare and then touchdown. Works everytime for me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Don't flare more than 6 degrees or you'll hit the tail of the aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

when i get to 10 000 feet i put the flaps to 1 degree, then down to 5 as i reach the 250knot max speed. once you get the hang of the aircraft and staying on the glidescope you'll be fine - just concentrate on reaching 140knots for touchdown. i usually put the gear and fullflaps down when i am cleared to land.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

when i get to 10 000 feet i put the flaps to 1 degree, then down to 5 as i reach the 250knot max speed. once you get the hang of the aircraft and staying on the glidescope you'll be fine - just concentrate on reaching 140knots for touchdown. i usually put the gear and fullflaps down when i am cleared to land.

That means you are flying below 10,000 ft at speeds in excess of 250 kts which violate regulations.

Also why do you need flaps at 10,000 ft or why would you extend flaps at 250 kts??? The plane flies perfectly well, clean at that speed. If you are using the flaps to slow the plane down, try the spoilers instead.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Make sure you have the gear down when landing or it takes full power to taxi to the gate.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

PH wrote:

Make sure you have the gear down when landing or it takes full power to taxi to the gate.

ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

Does anybody have any tips on landing the 737?

Ive only tried it a couple of times and I dont pitch up in time so I always land too hard....duh.

Hang on to this Doyley, it's very good, no struggling with (alien?) accents.
Ignore the fact that the GPS in the pics is out of FS2002. I challenge anyone to find a better concise tutorial of how to land a 737 in FS.

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

99jolegg wrote:

Try the lessons in FS9.

Meanwhile, keep your speed at around 140 knots on approach with full flaps

Make sure you are on the glideslope all of the way down. Use Visual Flight Path in "Aircraft" menu if needs be

At 10-20 feet, pull back on the stick to increase the nose slightly. If your VSI increases, don't pull back any more because you will float down the runway.

Good luck 😉

140 knots?! Even with a full load of passengers? With Pas. I land around 180kts and do just fine.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Mustangfreak wrote:

140 knots?! Even with a full load of passengers? With Pas. I land around 180kts and do just fine.

180 knots is way too fast. Approach speed should be near 140 knots and landing speed should be even lower, at around 120-125 knots for a smooth and soft landing

Section from 737 website wrote:

V Refs

Ref. Weight. is 40t. and a standard correction of minus 1 up to max landing weight. Above max landing weight it is 3kts.

Vref for 40t for flaps 30 is 40 x 3 = 120 -1 = 119kts.
" " " " " 40 is Vref 30 - 3 = 116kts.

Next just half the difference between Actual and ref weight. and then add back to ref weight. x 3 = V - 1 = Vref for that weight.

Example: Actual weight. 50t which is 10t more than ref weight.
10/2 = 5 + 40 = 45 x 3 = 135 -1 = 134. Same as QRH/FMC.

Vref for flaps 40 for 50t is Vref 30 - 4 = 130kts.
(Diff between Vref 30 and 40 is 3kts below 50t. 50t and above, it is 4kts.)
(Diff between Vref 30 and Vref 15 is about 15 kts.)

The above rule of thumb has no error and it is as good as your QRH speeds for flaps 30 and 40 up to landing weight of 55t. Above this weight standard correction of 1 kts is increased to 3kts)

To make the above calculation easy, like John's method we need to remember only ref speed of 120 kts. Just half the difference of weight between actual and the ref and multiply by 3. Add this to 120 and we have Vref + 1 kts for flaps 30.

Example: Actual landing weight is 50t. so difference is 10t. Half of that is 5. 5x3 = 15. 120+15 = 135 - 1 = 134kts. I leave to the pilot whether he would like to remember 119 or 120 as the reference speed for the convenience.

Another example: Act land weight is 49.4t diff is 9.4. Half of that is 4.7. It is then multiplied by 3. (4x3=12)+(.7x3=2.1) = 14.1 + 119 = 133kts.

I hope the above method will help pilots flying 737 to be within safe limits of operating speeds.

***Extract taken from http://www.b737.org.uk/vspeedcalc2.htm written by Tomar***

As you can see, the landing speeds are fairly low as in the real world, the highest being around 135 knots 😉

hinchoo Guest

CrashGordon wrote:

That means you are flying below 10,000 ft at speeds in excess of 250 kts which violate regulations.

Also why do you need flaps at 10,000 ft or why would you extend flaps at 250 kts??? The plane flies perfectly well, clean at that speed. If you are using the flaps to slow the plane down, try the spoilers instead.

haha nooo, i do mean for the time i get to 10000 im at 250knots. i always use 1deg of flaps under 250, i read it somewhere and always have 😕

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...