737 Landing

Does anyone know of any tutorials on this site that I can read about manually landing the 737. I just about have it but I always seem to bounce once I hit the ground.

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Jamie4590 Guest

Your sinkrate is increasing because you could be reducing N1 too early. As you begin the flare monitor your descent and adjust power, not pitch to compensate. 😀

So when I start the flare thats when I should shut off all engines or just make sure that I have a good landing speed when I touch down, then shut off engines once I'm down?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

1) Make sure your landing speed (known as Vref) is constant and correct. If you give us the aircraft you are flying, we can give you a rough idea of the speed you should be at. You can use Auto Throttle to help maintain speed.

2) Make sure you flare when you are landing. This temporary increase in lift is what cuts your negative descent rate by half for a smooth landing. You should flare at around 3-7 degrees, depending on a lot of factors. I suggest you try a few landings with a "Spot Plane" view as well as your cockpit view. Press '[' i.e. the button next to P on the keyboard and it'll open a new window, then just press S to cycle through the views. You should look to flare when you cut power.

3) Cut power when you are about 10-30ft above the runway - especailly for heavy jets. If you have no thrust to propell you through the air, then the wings can't do what their designed to do and provide lift - no lift, means a hard landing. Getting some descent altitude callouts will be useful here.

A good landing is about getting the right speed on approach, combined with the flare and cutting of the power. The idea is that you cut power at the right time and flare, to have idle thrust (cutting of the power) whilst retaining some lift (the increased angle of attack of the wing due to the flare). The relationship between the two is paramount for a smooth landing.

I will definitely try that. The plane is usually a 737 and I think the landing speed is about 130 so thats what I have been trying to use(someone here could probably verify or correct that).

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I will definitely try that. The plane is usually a 737 and I think the landing speed is about 130 so thats what I have been trying to use(someone here could probably verify or correct that).

Sorry, I copied and pasted what I answered to someone's similar question, so the If you give us the aircraft you are flying, we can give you a rough idea of the speed you should be at. didn't apply to you.

Yes, around 130KIAS is a good landing speed for the 737.

😉

I have tried everything that everyone has said and am still bouncing once I touchdown. I probably aren't doing something right that was explained to do here.
Is there a way I can make a video of the landing and post it here? I can't figure out how to. The only thing I can do is watch a replay and obviously you guys can't see that.
If you guys can see a landing, I'm hoping that will help.
Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain

For a problem such as bouncing, a series of photographs of the cockpit will be enough I think. Make sure you take a picture every 2-3 seconds near touchdown - the more pictures, the easier it was for us to help.

If you want to make a video, then try Fraps 😉

I'd do that but the problem is I don't know how to take screenshots or anything like that. I have never taken them before for anything so I never figured out how to do them. I figure you have to pause the game but then I don't know what to click on.
If someone could explain how to do this, then I'd be happy to post the screenshots.

P.S. What exactly is Fraps. I've heard of it, but again since I've never taken videos before I don't know what it is or how to use it.

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain

To take screenshots:

Download this:

Install it and open it, choosing a key for the collection of shots, i.e. the Print Screen button. Choose a directory for them to appear once you press that button in the sim. I have mine set to Desktop. Once you have the shots in a directory then go to http://imagebucket.flyawaysimulation.com/ and upload them, finding them from the directory they were put in. Paste the part that has [IMG] at the beginning and [/IMG] at the end.

😉

Ok I'll do that and try to get some shots on today

Pro Member Trainee
Smitchalias Trainee

Yes what everybody says.

I can land the 737 easly. but then the left wind falls off!

Clap weird. im great at distroying a plane tho Clap

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...