Autopilot / Waypoint question

Pro Member Trainee
switchdoc Trainee

Hey all,

I have no doubt this question has been posted before, but a search for autopilot and nav gave so many reponses I couldn't find it.

My understanding is, if I have a flight plane and its loaded into the GPS, if I turn the autopilot on, shouldn't the plane turn to follow the waypoints as it reaches them?

I know there is something about switching to or from nav, or something like that, but either way doesn't seem to matter. I get to the turn and just cruise right on by instead of turning automatically.

Is there something else I need to do or am I just wrong that the autopilot should do this?

Thanks in advance!

Switch

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

If you have the GPS setup all you have to do is make sure you have gps selcected NOT nav on the selector switch. (there are only two options.. left is nav....right is gps)

Also if you are flying a/p make sure you have the nav selected and not hdg or app otherwise a/c will track the heading and not the gps.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

As the poster above said:

1) Make sure the flight plan is loaded into the GPS.
2) Set the NAV/GPS selector to GPS.
3) Push the NAV button on the autopilot.
4) Don't forget to turn the autopilot on. Push AP.

Lateral navigation should be enabled, at least in the default/simple planes. If you're flying a complex payware, it's not that simple. Tell us what kind of plane Wink

Pro Member Trainee
switchdoc Trainee

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think at one point in time I had all of those buttons clicked, but probably not in the right order at the right time 🙂

I'm flying just simple planes right now.. most complicated thing I've been playing with is the learjet.

Well, sometimes I fly one of the heavies on 'easy' setting, just so I can do barrelrolls and pretend to make humerous comments to the passengers over the intercom:

"Ladies and Gentleman, this is your Captain speaking. Watch THIS!"

Wink

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

in that case the last two post will probably be of no interest 😕

Looks like the Cessna Skylane (I think thats right, its one of the stock Cessna's) has a GPS sophisticated enough to try this with. Tried it with a simpler plane and it just doesn't have the Avionics to do it. It was more of a point and hold kinda deal.

I'm going to try it as soon as i get done crashing into various things at the grand canyon!

Man do I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...