Adding aircraft the hard way?

hey,

I'' really into this flyin scene.. and have downloaded a fair bit of addon planes... but i can't seem to get the ones that don't ahve .exe to install properly or at all. Fist of all is there a program i can get that will do it for me and if not then how do you do it the hard way. I ask that because when i download them, there is no folders, just a bunch of files and i have no clue where to put waht files. So if you could help me there that would be great thanks! 😂

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

There are some FS managers programs but my opinion is that probably you will confused more than helped.
Besides its better to know-learn what you do in order you to have the control of your FS folders.

There is a sticky which some of the more knowledgable persons of this site share their methods of installing aircrafts.Have a look ➡

https://flyawaysimulation.com/knowledge/page/34/installing-addon-flight-simulator-downloads/

Most of us use this way.Read careful and come back if you have any questions. 😉

I read the instructions, but my problem.. wasn't answered... when i download these planes, there are NO folders in the file what so ever! so my question is, what files go in what folder?

thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Which extraction/zip tool are you using?

hey i use winzip... so i dunno what files go where...

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I use addit pro, The nice part is that quickly removes add-ons without disrupting the program or any other add-ons. It will look at dependencies and warn you of possible problems. It will also allow you to view and decide when there are options in the add-on (wheels or ski's) and let you decide on file locations if you wish to. I just feel comfortable knowing that when I put an add-on in, and don't like it, I can restore my system without any hassle.
you just have to decide if you would rather spend your free time flying, or trying to figure out why your panel doesn't look the way it is supposed to. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

hey i use winzip... so i dunno what files go where...

I don't use WinZip. Having read some recent posts dealing with this, it seems that when you're downloading your add-ons, you can target WinZip right away.
I don't know if this is a good idea though, especially if you're not familiar with WinZip. I would download from the file library into a folder that I have created or straight onto my Desktop.
The advantage of this is, I will have the original Download in a place that I can always find and see.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

I have never tried Winzip - it seems to complicated for me 😀

I just manuallly install me addons and downloads

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

SteveT wrote:

Tell me how you open the zip if you don't use WinZip.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well I just double click on the file and it says 'Open'? and I click ok and it is unzipped - if that makes any sense? 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

SteveT wrote:

Radar

XP has its own zip system.
If you get fed up of waiting for Winzip to tell you how many files you have opened Evil or Very Mad Try an alternative ➡

http://www.7-zip.org/

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes I HAVE XP 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Just curious, your opening it with XP zip opener not with WinZip.
No I don't wait for them to tell me how many files I have opened, if I did I would sit there a year and a day. 😂

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I have used the inbuilt zip with XP,it works just by d/clicking and its open

You don't wait?? Nor do I anymore 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

SteveT wrote:

Radar

The double-click shows me the contents of the .zip file.

Right-click instead and select Open does the same.

Right-click and select Extract All... will extract the contents of the .zip file.

All extracted files will now be in one single folder and easy to manage.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

What is Zip.file????? Tee Hee

😉

Thanks a lot for the advice 🙂 .. but i have a little problem.. hmm whatn i download these planes.. i can't choose where to download them to, when i click it automaticall DLs to temporary files, then winzip pops up after it is complet so i do not have a chance to open the file with anyother program such as addit pro. so my question is how do u change it so i can download it to a specific location and i've tried to right clikc and save target as, but the sight is copy writed and will not let me.
Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

.. i can't choose where to download them to, when i click it automaticall DLs to temporary files, then winzip pops up after it is complet so i do not have a chance to open the file with anyother program

If you have Windows XP --- uninstall WinZip and try again. Idea

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...