FS Too Fast

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

It could just be me, but it seams like all the planes in FS are going faster than they should be going. For example in the 172 I'm going about 60 but it seems like I'm going maybe 90 or 100. I know it's not the simulation rate that's the problem. It seams to be happening in all aircraft.
Please Help.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Higher than normal frame rate?

Could be you're just kinda confused...I get that every now and again. Naturally no offense to you, but I think you know what I mean

Don Wood Guest

It could also be that your a/c is doing 60kt (airspeed) but 90 or 100kt (groundspeed). Tail winds can do that to you.

I was on a flight from Minneapolis to Kansas City many years ago in a C-T210. I had a true airspeed of about 165 kt but my DME showed a groundspeed of over 300 kt. I also confirmed that groundspeed with ATC. If I recall correctly, I was at 15,000 feet and had a very respectable tail wind.

I've also been in a Piper Super Cub flying (trying to fly) through the Cajon Pass in California where I had an airspeed of 85 mph but a ground speed very close to zero. It has never happed to me but I've heard tales of low powered a/c flying though passes and canyons where they actually were moving backwards over the ground.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

No, it's not the wind, the weather is set to Clear Skys, the the wind is 0.
It could be that I'm just a little confused. 😂 Embarassed
But I was wondering if there is a setting someware that could have been changed to cause this to happen.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

How does it "seem" like your going 90-100?

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Solotwo wrote:

How does it "seem" like your going 90-100?

My Groud Speed is 60 knts say, but it looks like the environment out side the aircraft is going by the window fast than 60 knts, more like 90-100 knts.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Another thing I noticed is that the flight controls seem more sensitive than usual (I don't think it's the control sensitivity settings).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hmm...That's really odd...Maybe try as a last resort, a Re-Install (DUN DUN DUN!!!)

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

This is just a guess. I have never used this feature but you can increase the rate of the sim to shorten flight times on a long trip. I thought it would default back to real time rate but maybe not. Check your settings and see if the sim rate is set higher than 1X.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I got an idea. I'll just hop in the lear jet, fly over a rwy at a couple hundered agl and set auto throttle to a speed, like 180 knts or something, I'll just calculate my speed according to rwy distance.
I'll let you know when I have it.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Ok, it must just have been me becuase I figured this:

I traveled over a 9,000 foot runway in ~ 27 seconds with a ground speed of 212.75 MPH. So if I get:
212.75 x 5280 = ft/hr
ft/hr / 60 = ft/min
ft/min / 60 = ft/sec
ft/sec x 27 = 8424.9
Which means that the runway in FS is only 8425 feet long, what a disappointment 😂 Crying or Very sad .
Or I made a timing error of about 7%, but anyway, it doesn't matter, got it solved.
So I guess it was just me.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...