FS2004 & the "Bunny Hop"

Pro Member Trainee
RevEv Trainee

Perhaps, someone has experienced the same thing I have, and can tell me how to eliminate it.

When cycling through the views ("S" key), from cockpit to full exterior view on the ground, upon first viewing the full exterior, the aircraft is jumping up-and-down like a nervous rabbit. Not only does the aircraft bounce, but the landing gear suspension extends and retrackts several times. Recycling the views right after that and everything is fine. Wait a few minutes, and cycle the views, and it happens again.

This happens with the default aircraft as well as the add-ons. In 2002 PRO, I used to get one "settling down" upon release of the "pause" key, but this is somewhat annoying.

Any suggestions?

Rev Ev

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Sounds like a graphics problem. What card are you using?

Pro Member Trainee
RevEv Trainee

I'm using NVIDA GeForce2 MX100/200 64M for a video card.

Works fine with CFS-2, Fs2000, & FS2002 PRO. What gives?

Rev Ev

Pro Member Trainee
markmac141 Trainee

i have experienced the same type of problem, just a little differently. When in spot plane view, the plane will bounce quite a bit when moving from the taxiway onto the runway for takeoff. this only happens in the spot plane view. the bounces are pretty bad, tires smoke, and the 747 actually sank into the ground and "crashed" once. i'm thinking this is game programming....anybody else experience these circumstances yet?

Pro Member Trainee
davesmith Trainee

Ive noticed this too, my video card is a Geforce 3 Ti200 I don't think this is the issue, sounds like dodgy programming to me.

badman Guest

I have noticed this also, but I experience when using an amphibious airplane (Third Party). The landing is fine, but when the plane finally stops, it starts jerking around all over the place, rather than the smooth up and down wave motion. As soon as I throttle up, and begin moving in the water, it stops. It seems to only happen when the plane is stopped on the water. No idea how to fix it, MS doesn't have anything about it on their FS site. Perhaps a bug in the program?
This never happend in fs2002.
I have a GE Force 2 Card

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Does this happen with the default Fs9 aircraft or just add on aircraft?

If its just add on then its a slight fault in the aircraft program(recall a problem on Fs2002 with landing gear sinking into the ground or hovering just above)You will have to wait for a fix from the designer

Pro Member Trainee
RevEv Trainee

The problem I have been having does not distinguish between default and add-on aircraft. I have even a C182 RG with default panel that hops all over the runway. I have received several replies sugesting that I change my video card. I had an e-GeForce2 MX-200 64MB AGP Video Card. I have replaced it with a Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB AGP 8X. Should have saved my money. Didn't do a thing.

The other problem I am having is that flying into a large airport at night is impossble for landing. The frame rate is so bad, that respone to the controls is so late and so jerky, that I am all over the sky until the aircraft ends up in a heap somewhere on the ground in the vicinity of the airport.

No folks, it is not the video card. I am running a P4 1.8G processor with 1G of RAM. It's not the equipment. Maybe it's me, but before anyone points their finger at me, I would ask that they have the answer. It could be me - - - but I would like to know what I'm doing wrong. I never had this problem with CFS2, FS2000, or FS2002PRO.

If someone has the answer . . . . . . .

Thanks

RevEv

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Hey all, the main problem is the video card that you have. It's either lower than a 128mb card or you don't have the latest drivers for it.
It's a bummer but this edition of the Flight Sim (FS9) seems to be more graphic hungry than all the rest.

Pro Member Trainee
RevEv Trainee

I have a 256MB video card with the latest driver.

RevEv

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

badman wrote:

I have noticed this also, but I experience when using an amphibious airplane (Third Party). The landing is fine, but when the plane finally stops, it starts jerking around all over the place, rather than the smooth up and down wave motion. As soon as I throttle up, and begin moving in the water, it stops. It seems to only happen when the plane is stopped on the water. No idea how to fix it, MS doesn't have anything about it on their FS site. Perhaps a bug in the program?
This never happend in fs2002.
I have a GE Force 2 Card

Yes, this is always a problem when the wheels are not down with non-amphibious aircraft. After all, we should not be flying liners into the ocean! Third party amphibious aircraft sounds right, especially the ones pre-2002 before water landings were implemented... ahh the good old days of FS98 😉

badman Guest

The 3rd party aircraft, all claim to be for fs2004... I understand, that that may or may not be true. I havn't tried the amphibous cessna caravan yet, I'll try it and get back... also I havn't downloaded the latest driver for my video card yet either. I'll do that as well and let you know if it helps.
thanks to all

PS. I try not to fly liners into the water, but, well...sometimes, you know...
Good thing this is a simulator 😂

cmac Guest

Hi there. It's contact points in the aircraft config. The plane keeps "spawning" out too high or too low and it causes it to bounce on the ground. Slightly changing the contact points should help.

cmac Guest

Hi again. The frame rate problem could be a bad landclass file, or just a bad piece of third party scenery. I had file for Nanaimo on Vancouver Island that would bring me from 30fps down to 4 or 5fps just by going in its general direction. Check for a bad piece of scenery.

cmac Guest

Hi again. The lines you have to change in the aircraft.cfg file under "contact points" are:
static_pitch=0.000
static_cg_height=5.150 <----

static_pitch=0.000

I Just finished fixing the same problem on my favorite plane.

Go to spot plane view. Hit the windows logo button and get back to desk top. find and open the offending aircraft.cfg file. Change the static_cg_height=# up or down a few and exit, saving changes. Shoot back to FS. Hit "alt" button Change aircraft menu (this reloads the aircraft with the changes you made.) Select the same plane, cycle through the views, and see if its better or worse. Change again accordingly. Whew. I hope that gets you figured out as well.
Take 'er easy.

Cheers from Formosa!

Chris (Canadian in Taiwan)

Thank you so much --- a week of fustrations.....This works---albeit after a tweak to the 5.150 numbers -- depending on plane as low as 3 and high as 6 ...but it works !!!

cmac wrote:

Hi again. The lines you have to change in the aircraft.cfg file under "contact points" are:
static_pitch=0.000

static_pitch=0.000

I Just finished fixing the same problem on my favorite plane.

Go to spot plane view. Hit the windows logo button and get back to desk top. find and open the offending aircraft.cfg file. Change the static_cg_height=# up or down a few and exit, saving changes. Shoot back to FS. Hit "alt" button Change aircraft menu (this reloads the aircraft with the changes you made.) Select the same plane, cycle through the views, and see if its better or worse. Change again accordingly. Whew. I hope that gets you figured out as well.
Take 'er easy.

Cheers from Formosa!

Chris (Canadian in Taiwan)

Surprised

Thank you so much --- a week of fustrations.....This works---albeit after a tweak to the 5.150 numbers -- depending on plane as low as 3 and high as 6 ...but it works !!!
Surprised 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...