to taxi or not to taxi, that is the question!

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Hi guys,

just wondered if u guys generally hop in & fly straight away or do the full taxiing?
i tend to hop in & fly but then taxi properly to the gates upon landing.

whats ur preference?

micah

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

Taxi. More realistic. Taxing also gives you time to trim the aircraft for takeoff and program the FMC 😀

Last edited by Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) on Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

^Certainly true. I find that I most often start out cold & dark and at the gate for my virtual airline flights in the heavies, but otherwise start on the rwy for casual heavy metal or GA flights.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

I don't think I have ever ever flown without taxi-ing from either Gate or parking to the Runway... (even when flying GA) ...... such is my obsession with making this sim as real as possible ! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

I don't think I have ever ever flown without taxi-ing from either Gate or parking to the Runway... (even when flying GA) ...... such is my obsession with making this sim as real as possible ! 😀

I try to make my flights realistic (for instance I've never used the Simulation Rate option other than to demo it) but I'm not opposed to pressing PAUSE now and then. When I do a long flight, I actually sit through it (but to be totally honest my attention goes elsewhere like reading while my virtual F/O is monitoring the systems).

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

KurtPStevens wrote:

Taxi. More realistic. Taxing also gives you time to trim the aircraft for takeoff and program the FMC 😀

I agree with Kurt. If you start out on the active runway from a cold and dark state you could be sitting there for some time while you go about your duties preparing for the flight.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Nearly always cold and dark

I do have a couple of flights where I have saved the flight at 100miles out and 50 miles out so I can have a quick 1/2 hour and a landing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I always taxi from the gate to the runway to make my flights as real as possible, like GPS-Kid said.
Yes, sometimes I start at the runway, but that's usually when I want to check any airplane.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i know that when i get my rudder pedals, i will be doing a full push back and taxi every single time!!

I have my traffic set very high and i once sat for 3 quarters of an hour waiting for takeoff clearance!!

bit frustrating on that occasion, but lost all anger once i was up in the clouds!! 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I normally always taxi in the jets for reality 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Agus0404 wrote:

I always taxi from the gate to the runway to make my flights as real as possible, like GPS-Kid said.
Yes, sometimes I start at the runway, but that's usually when I want to check any airplane.

Agreed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

Same with me. I always want it to be as realistic as possible.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...