how to edit plane textures?

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

hi there,
i dont know if this has already been posted but ill ask anyway- is there any way i can easily edit the textures of an aircraft on fs2004? the jpg files that are in the textures folder are changable but they do not edit the graphics of the plane ❓
any help apprectiated
cheers 😀

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

http://www.simviation.com/fsdtutrpaint.htm

http://www.abacuspub.com/fsd/catalog/s531.htm

I hope that one of these links helps you. I don't understand how to do it either. If you get good at it, you can teach the rest of us. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

FS Repaint (The third link provided by CRJCapt) makes the task easy. It handles the creation of a new variation and rewrites the aircraft.cfg for you. It also lets you see the results of what you are doing before you save any changes.

The only downside to it is that the built in editor isn't as powerful as it might be, but it does give you the option of using an external editor,

There is a free demo version on the abacuspub site which will let your try it out, but won't let you save the results.

The plane below was done with FS Repaint.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

brownbox wrote:

hi there,
i dont know if this has already been posted but ill ask anyway- is there any way i can easily edit the textures of an aircraft on fs2004? the jpg files that are in the textures folder are changable but they do not edit the graphics of the plane ❓
any help apprectiated
cheers 😀

Edit the textures... I suppose that can be done. To get an understanding of the whole thing you'd have to look at 'creating textures' or 'repainting aircraft' or something similar.

What you refer to as jpg files are actually bitmaps - the importance of the difference will become apparent if you decide to pursue the matter further.

If you do, you will need at least three items:
1) a graphics editor (MS Paint can be used but is not recommended)
2) DXTBMP
3) a complete tutorial that you feel comfortable with

There are plenty of tutorials available, you decide which suits you best. I'll only give you the link to one of the more popular ones, you can find others by googling or just checking the usual flightsim portals.

http://www.projectopensky.com/

Click on 'forum', under the 'General Discussions' heading you'll find 'Painters Learning Center' - click on it - now you are in familiar territory. Read the Stickies! The third one is a tutorial. Two topics further down you have a more in depth tutorial.

My advice, do read and revisit those forums frequently, it will save you a lot of frustration.

is there any way i can easily edit the textures of an aircraft on fs2004?

I gave you the information above because I feel that the easiest way to begin editing anything that has to do with FS requires at least some degree of overview - otherwise you'll end up running around in circles.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

mmm one of the links was good but its not freeware 😞 ill search google and the links and come back with some answer 😎 i will not rest until i get my own personal paint job Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

brownbox wrote:

mmm one of the links was good but its not freeware 😞 ill search google and the links and come back with some answer 😎 i will not rest until i get my own personal paint job Mad

That's a good outlook. Go to it.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...