First flight on VATSIM

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Hi all,

I made my first flight on vatsim last night, I was following IFR from KJFK to KDCA.
I was told to expect visual runway 19. So I waited and then I was told to do a 180 degree turn and report runway in sight. By the time I had finished my turn I was way above the glideslope and couldnt get down in time to land. I assume this is something I did wrong so what I would like to do is sign up as a ATC and monitor what people are doing on VATSIM.

Would this be ok to do, would it cause problems? I have no experience with ATC so I currently dont have a clue what im doing.

Cheers 😀

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Ok, right now your ATC rating on VATSIM is "Observer". What you do is, download "ASRC" (look for it on avsim.com) and also download the "sector files" (the "maps" if you will) of the area you want to watch. For example, if you want to watch Memphis Approach, download ASRC, download the Memphis sector (from the relevant ARTCC), then connect as KMEM_OBS for example (read the detailed instructions on how to set up ASRC). As observer you may not talk to aircraft, issue orders or interfere in any way. You may (as the name implies) observe what the controller is doing and listen to the channel.

It's not very simple, but neither is it overly complicated. Good luck!

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Cheers for your reply.

Do you think it will help me with the approaches which I seem to be having trouble with?

Maybe if I pick it up I might become a ATC on there. I notice there dont seem to be that many on there.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

What do you mean exactly? What approaches where? And from what position? I'll be happy to help if I can.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...