My solution to FS9 crash via kneeboard

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Over the past few weeks I have been having a few problems with FS9. When ever I'm in flight and try to bring up the kneeboard FS crashes to the desktop and an error report comes up. In the error report the following wants to be sent over

FS9.CFG
DXDIAG
Scenery.CFG

They can be found in the follow folder
C:/Document and settings/user name/application/Microsoft/FS9 (Make sure your hidden folders are not hidden)

So the first thing I did was delete the FS9.CFG (like everyone suggest's) and still no joy. So then I delete the three files above and FS9 refuse's to start so I restore the three files. I then uninstalled and reinstalled and still no joy Crying or Very sad

At this stage I'm pulling my hair out trying to fiqure out the problem. As a last resort I reformat the HD and reinstall FS9 and the same thing happens. Which isn't to bad but it's still a pain the Ass .

So I go about Read and researching on the net and still no joy as to my problem.
I'm running on the following specs

I'm running the following spec's
ASUS A8N-SLI 939 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 3700+ 939 processor
2GB of RAM
ASUS Nvidia 6600GT 256MB PCI-Express graphic card
Windows XP SP2

All update's are correct and no virus and spyware/ad-ware. I jump onto Micr$oft's website and find they have a trail version of Windows XP 64 bit so I though what have I got to lose. I sign up and wait for the email to arrive with the link to download.

About 30mins later the lovely email arrive's and to my surprise the download is a massive 550mb. So I download and wait and watch TV. After I downloaded you have to burn the ISO onto a CD/DVD and reboot via the CD/DVD. After it's installed on my spare HD and load all the drivers and installed FS9 and to my surprise the kneeboard actual works.

The only problem is the trail last for 120 day's then you have to buy the full programe. So that's me sorted out and back to flying after I installed all my add-on's (which might be tonight or tomorrow). At the moment I have windows XP SP2 on my C drive with all my music and movies and my dad's games and on my D drive I have Window's XP 64 SP1 which will be used for Flight Sim and surfing the web.

That was my solution to the amount of problem's I was suffering. This won't work for everyone but I thought I'll share it with everyone.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I amdire your patience and your troubleshooting method.Thank you for sharing the solution my friend.Im sure that it will helps on future 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Call me a pessimist but I'm becoming more and more convinced that the problem is of a more sinister nature.

Mine is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo and I can't help but think that there is a hardware compatibility issue. What exactly it is, I haven't got a clue. Haven't found any help on the net, but every now and then when similar problems are mentioned, the ASUS A8N-SLI mobo seems to rear it's ugly head.

My claim is not that necessarely there is something wrong with the boards. But the SLI-technology is relatively new and by their nature the boards are complex. Maybe too complex for some of us.

Complacency is not only dangerous in medical procedures but is also bound to cause problems when building our own computers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

This usually works.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/3771/kneeboard-problems/

Radar

Saw this post and it didn't help me at all. I have ran WindowBlinds in the past and had no effect on FS9.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

This usually works.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/3771/kneeboard-problems/

Radar

Saw this post and it didn't help me at all. I have ran WindowBlinds in the past and had no effect on FS9.

Read the entire thread. it has nothing to do with Widowblinds, The answer is lower and it has worked for everyone that has followed it.

Radar

BrooklineTom Guest

Uh, it didn't work for me.

This is a new problem, could be related to the new Logan Airport scenery I installed, though. If I click on the kneeboard -- BANG. Immediate black-screen, followed an eternity later by the complaint.

Ideas?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Hard one.Uninstall this scenery and check if your problem persists... 😞

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...