Windsheer

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I have just flew from KJFK to KACY using real world weather. On the glidescope I had winds at about 32kts on my 5 oclock. Alarms started going off saying "Wind Sheer". ive never heard this one before. Is it part of fspassengers or will it be part of my a/c?

I made a very hard landing, about 700fpm. Would aircraft in the real world attempt to land in those conditions?

Thanks 😀

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Here are the weather conditions...

Wind from the WNW (290 degrees) at 31 MPH (27 KT) gusting to 38 MPH (33 KT)
Visibility 10 mile(s)
Sky conditions mostly cloudy
Temperature 45.0 F (7.2 C)
Dew Point 16.0 F (-8.9 C)
Relative Humidity 30%
Pressure (altimeter) 29.82 in. Hg (1009 hPa)
Pressure tendency 0.02 inches (0.6 hPa) lower than three hours ago
ob KACY 151754Z 29027G33KT 10SM BKN060 07/M09 A2982 RMK AO2 PK WND 29037/1711 SLP099 T00721089 10089 20039 58006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

Here are the weather conditions...

Wind from the WNW (290 degrees) at 31 MPH (27 KT) gusting to 38 MPH (33 KT)
Visibility 10 mile(s)
Sky conditions mostly cloudy
Temperature 45.0 F (7.2 C)
Dew Point 16.0 F (-8.9 C)
Relative Humidity 30%
Pressure (altimeter) 29.82 in. Hg (1009 hPa)
Pressure tendency 0.02 inches (0.6 hPa) lower than three hours ago
ob KACY 151754Z 29027G33KT 10SM BKN060 07/M09 A2982 RMK AO2 PK WND 29037/1711 SLP099 T00721089 10089 20039 58006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From where did you get this report? 😳 I like it 👍

I have never heard such a warning from FSPax. Umm... Maybe its your craft sound's packet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Those winds are fairly extreme. A real aircraft would not land in those winds with a quartering tailwind. You should have used runway 31. The alarm you heard was from the GPWS in your aircraft.
🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPWS

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Looks like you are using real world weather. Real world you would probably get RW31 at KACY and it would give you no problems (crosswind limits).
Windshear is however a major problem and has lead to many real world disasters.

While approaching Dallas runway 17L in rain and thunderstorm, the TriStar entered a microburst. At 6300 feet short of the runway threshold the aircraft struck a car on a highway, collided with two water tanks, broke up and burst into flames.

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The flight crew's decision to initiate and continue the approach into a cumulonimbus cloud which they observed to contain visible lightning; the lack of specific guidelines, procedures and training for avoiding and escaping from low-level windshear; and the lack of definitive, real-time windshear hazard information. This resulted in the aircraft's encounter at low altitude with a microburst-induced, severe windshear from a rapidly developing thunderstorm located on the final approach course."

A lot has been done since then and my suggestion is to firewall it if you hear windshear! Hold and approach when the storm has passed.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Some good info as always there, thanks all!!!

I got the weather from http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KACY.html

I believe there is a feed similar to a RSS feed that sites like this use. If I get chance ill knock together a PHP script that will find the weather for any airport using this.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason Melancon (Mithheru) First Officer

I wonder if that's what I had happen to me just a while ago.

I was flying from Anchorage, Alaska to Sea-tac in a 737-300. Everything was good until the landing. About 50 feet above the ground we started getting some nasty turbulence. The plane actually bounced off the runway and sustained some major damage to the landing gears.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Doyley wrote:

Some good info as always there, thanks all!!!

I got the weather from http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KACY.html

I believe there is a feed similar to a RSS feed that sites like this use. If I get chance ill knock together a PHP script that will find the weather for any airport using this.

Thanks a lot. 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...