afterburner probs

Pro Member First Officer
ste (tazz126) First Officer

i have another problem with my flight sim 2004 i can install addon aircraft which iv downloaded from this site but i cannot get the afterburners on my fighters are not working i put the effects in the main effect folder and iv allso try-ed to put them in the aircraft folder and its just not happening Crying or Very sad
help.also can someone tell me how long it takes for the screen shots gallery to up date as iv got some picks to show you all of my flight sim
that we are building
Umm...

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The readme file should tell you how to get your afterburners working.

If it doesn't or if there is no readme file, get another a/c. There are plenty of good ones around. Try avsim.com or flightsim.com - they'll have the fixes and updates if any are required.

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

Ive tried the samething with no luck either and I cant find out anything from the readme file so what am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly apperciated. I tell ya an F-14 just doesnt look right without burners on and im dying to go super sonic 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Try [Shift+F4] for Afterburners. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

tried the shift+F4 with no joy...still no a/b..any suggestions?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

VF101Guy wrote:

Post the readme file here and we'll try and read it together.

BTW, you're not flying a 747 by any chance?

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

which readme file the one on the sim or the download? No im not flying anything commercial.. I downloaded the F-14B and all the updates for it even the file you have mentioned in this post still no luck. Even tried flying Firefox lastnight and no burners on it either.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

The download ones.Or share your download link in order some of us to download and check it for you. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

Greekman72 wrote:

The download ones.Or share your download link in order some of us to download and check it for you. 😉

I dont know how to do the links "computer challenged" 😂 but i got the downloads from here..Just did a search for the F-14B Tomcat

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You just copy the link from your adress bar and paste it here.

Is the first one you are reffering to?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

VF101Guy wrote:

Post the readme file here and we'll try and read it together.

BTW, you're not flying a 747 by any chance?

The reference to the 747 was tongue in cheek.

You're mentioning several fighter aircraft. They don't all work the same which means you have to install them seperately most likely using different methods.

If you download those complex a/c from a site that doesn't bother to post updates and fixes then you're already in deep water.

Pick your favorite first. Search for it at different sites with the better file libraries. Then download it off the site that appears to have the most recent updates and fixes and get to work.

Re your afterburners: with many fighters you have to assign a key(combination) to get them to work. This might work for several fighters but not necessarely with others. But we're putting the cart before the horse.

The important part is that you get all the bits and pieces you need for your favorite a/c first of all. Very important: Read all the documentation floating around in different parts of different folders thoroughly, bang your head against the wall, walk away and try again later. You'll work it out in the end.

The problem with the better fighters is that they are either authored by only one person or a very small team, with the result that many other enthusiasts make improvements to the original and you end up with a terrrible mess of readme files and instructions. To sort out that mess is actually the hardest part.

Our problem here at the forum is that we have no idea which aircraft you're actually struggling with, filename, downloadsource... and I wasn't kidding when I suggested to post the readme file here.

One more thing - there are plenty of F-14s out there but IMO only one or two are any good. No-one expects you to know which one to pick. A bit of information goes a long way 😀

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/728/fs2004-grumman-f-14b-tomcat/

this is the F-14B download from this site. I also have the file f14bfs9a from this site as well.
Ive read all the readme files on both files but it doesnt say anything abour using afterburners.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

VF101Guy wrote:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads-file-728-details.html

this is the F-14B download from this site. I also have the file f14bfs9a from this site as well.
Ive read all the readme files on both files but it doesnt say anything abour using afterburners.

I see you've done your homework. The file you have is a bit outdated and I'm not willing to download it as my preferences lie with other file libraries.
If you wish to get this particular one working though, I would take Greekman72 up on his promise

Or share your download link in order some of us to download and check it for you.

This is the F-14 I used to have

It had only one minor flaw at the beginning: only one afterburner was working. But soon someone had posted a fix and she was perfect.
Unfortunately I've lost the original, can't remember the author and am in deep mourning because of it.

There is always an alternative though if you're willing and have the patience. Go to flightsim.com and 'Search for Text' : f-14. In the category 'Search only file section:' - select 'FS 2004 Modern Military Aircraft'.

On the following page I like the one at the top of the page f14drev1.zip
It's just a hunch, I haven't tried it yet but looking at the date it seems to be a recent addition.
Here's the file description:

Name: f14drev1.zip Size: 48,184,060 Date: 04-12-2006 Downloads: 2817
FS2004 F-14D Flight Dynamics & Sound (V 2-06) and custom panel. Perfectly controllable and maneuverable within the whole original Grumman Tomcat's flight envelope. Realistic 120 kt approaches at the design landing weight, this time at higher AoA. Sound compiled to give a realistic feel of flying a supersonic jet fighter, with some improvements with respect to the previous version. Panel, systems engineering, custom FX, gauging and carrier zoning by Steve Hinson. Flight dynamics, sound, HUD and aircraft.cfg by Ivan Kostic. HUD based on Scott Printz's full-screen HUDHornet. Flight dynamics derived from the original FDE by J.J. Schumacher. RCBCO-20 by Rob Barendregt, Doug Dawson and Nick Needham. Original F-14 aircraft by Dino Cattaneo.

The advantage regarding more recent additions is that usually if there is a bug, it'll be fixed asap.

That's all I can suggest at the moment. Let us know how you're getting on 😀

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

Thanks Tailhook..Im downloading it now..Huge file.. Greekman72 i put the link up so if you want to try it let me know how it turns out and guys...Thanks for the help..
Lynn

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

VF101Guy wrote:

Thanks Tailhook..Im downloading it now..Huge file.. Greekman72 i put the link up so if you want to try it let me know how it turns out and guys...Thanks for the help..
Lynn

Wishing you success 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

🙄

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

ok I downloaded the file that Tailhook told me about//followed the instructions to the letter.. Still no afterburner even with the download...Am i missing something here? Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

VF101Guy wrote:

ok I downloaded the file that Tailhook told me about//followed the instructions to the letter.. Still no afterburner even with the download...Am i missing something here? Embarassed

I'm fully confident that you've followed the instructions to the letter and if you still don't have any afterburners then it's probably my turn to do an Embarassed!
I only suggested that file because it's a recent one, hoping that it might be complete.

There is the possibility of activating afterburners by pressing Shift+F4 in many models -- often the authors don't mention this in the readme file because they assume that everybody, including us mere mortals know this anyway.

I'll keep looking.

Pro Member Trainee
VF101Guy Trainee

Hey tailhook no reason to do an Embarassed . It happens.. Im just glad I can fly a Tomcat again. Funny thing ..I can get the plane to over 650mph but no sonic boom. Im going to try and play with some of the settings to see if I am doing something wrong or what not. Again I really do apperciate the help you guys are giving me..
Lynn

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...