CH Throttle Quadrant

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Hi everyone, I recently bought the CH Yoke and rudder pedals and really like them. I'm now thinking of completing the package and buying the quadrant. It's quite expensive so I'm wondering if anyone could recommend it?

I would be mainly using it in the main payware addons I own: PMDG 747 and 737NG, Level-D 767 and PSS 777. I notice in the picture on the CH website that there are six levers - two red, two black and two blue. The main plane I fly is the 747, a quad jet, so am I reading this wrong or do you get spare "tops" for the levers so that I could set it up that the central four levers would be black to accomodate the 747, then change it to maybe two blues for the twin-engine 737. Is that how it works?

Thanks for any input and advice on this. Appreciate it!

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

You are correct in your thinking about the levers. The blue tops are for Propeller controls. You get 4 black, 2 blue and 2 red. They differ in shape based on color. I have the quadrant and I love it. You will have to reconfigure your controls when switching between the two engine aircraft and the Boeing 747 but that's not a problem. My setup for the 747, I use the first lever for Spoilers(red), I use the center four levers for thrust levers(black) and sixth lever is unused(blue). If I'm flying twin prop aircraft, I use first two for thrust, center two for props and the last two for mixture. In a twin Jet I use the first lever for spoilers, 2&3 for thrust and 4.5,6 unused. You can set it up anyway you want. I use the two buttons on the yoke for flaps and gear. You'll have six more on the throttle quadrant to assign to whatever you want.🙂

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks for that CRJ, I think I might get one now, just have to save up a little more money for it first.

For the 747-type setup, would it not be more realistic to use the sixth lever for flaps, as that's kind of what it's like in the real throttle section of the plane? Or is it impossible to get the "incremental" flaps with the kind of up-down throttle lever (i.e. do you need a button rather than a throttle type input to extend and retract flaps in MSFS?)

Thanks again and hopefully I'm making sense here!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I use a similar setup to that of CRJ, except the leftmost (red) lever is used for flaps and below the detent arms the spoilers. the right most red lever is for spoilers, and below the detent, activates revrse thrust.

It is costly and maybe not quite as necessary as as the yoke and pedals, but I love it. BTW, if you taxi a taildragger, you will just love being able to apply throttle to the engine of your choice.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I had the flaps setup on the yoke before I got the throttle quadrant and I've grown used to it. The lever doesn't have the detents of a real flap lever so you have to watch the indicator. With the switch, I hit it once for each flap position without really watching the flap indicator. I have reverse thrust set on the power levers. 🙂

I never thought about using a lever to arm the spoilers. I'll have to set that up. Thanks Crash. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain

Glad you found something useful. I have the detents on the throttles set up to shut the engines down.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

I wonder could you set the four switches under the four throttles to fuel cutoff switches? That would be really cool.

Like I said I will probably buy it when I get the rest of the cash, hopefully I will be able to set it up so that I have spoilers on one side of the four engines and flaps on the other. I'll probably go with your idea for thrust reversers CRJ. By the way, how do they apply thrust reversers in real life? Is it the same method? Thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
ste (tazz126) First Officer

hi i would like to no if the throttles will work on there own as iv got the old type yoke and peds and the one I'm buying is usb and i don't no what to do help thanx tazz126

Pro Member Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

I wonder could you set the four switches under the four throttles to fuel cutoff switches? That would be really cool.

Like I said I will probably buy it when I get the rest of the cash, hopefully I will be able to set it up so that I have spoilers on one side of the four engines and flaps on the other. I'll probably go with your idea for thrust reversers CRJ. By the way, how do they apply thrust reversers in real life? Is it the same method? Thanks.

You can set the switches however you like. Remember that the switches are really 2 buttons each so each switch may have 2 functions. I use the detent position of the throttles to cut fuel and save the switches for a/p and a/t related functions.

TheGoof Guest

Hi, I read that someone has set up two levers to have thrust reverse. Please, tell me how!

Kind regards
Bart

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Using the CH setup program, the full aft travel of the levers is seen as a switch position that can be defined. I assigned one of the thrust levers full aft position as reverse thrust. When I pull both thrust levers full aft, I get reverse thrust on both engines. 🙂

TheGoof Guest

I did look and try the CH program, the combination described was seen, but I am unable to get the trust reverse in effect.

My configuration is as follows:
FS2004
Pro Pedals
FlightSIM Yoke
Throttle Quadrant

At first I simply connected all 3 devices and used the setup without the Control Manager program. All axes and buttons on all 3 are available an can be programmed. But no thrust reverse... The throttle levers seem to give some throttle even at the detent position Sad

So I installed the CM program. When combining all 3 devices I ended up with only 8 (maximum axes) whereas I should have 14 (yoke 5, pedals 3 and TQ 6).

Back to CH with all 3 devices apart, stil no thrustreverse. Mayb I am supposed to create a script? Maybe the mode is important?

Please eleborate.

Kind regards
Bart

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Reverse thrust is set from within Flight Simulator key assignment list. Use "Throttle decrease quickly" F2 on the engine control menu list.

I use levers one and two on the Throttle Quadrant for thrust. When you pull lever one past the detent to the full aft position, it presses key 13. Assign key 13 to " Throttle decrease quickly". Reverse thrust will occur on both engines since there is on one command for reverse thrust. Levers should be calibrated to give zero thrust with the levers at the detent. 🙂

Tell me what eight axises you have. 😕 I don't use the three levers on the Yoke, I guess I could but they are presently unassigned .

TheGoof Guest

Hello CRJCapt,

again I did some experimenting. Please read.

Withing the CH Control Program (CP) I used the map wizard to add my three devices (Pro Pedals, Yoke and Throttle Quadrant). No problem there.

When calibrating every axis of every device is seen and can be calibrated. All buttons of the TQ are visible, also the virtual ones when pulling the lever past de detent position. No problem there.

When I save this map and of course download it to make it in effect CP defaults the map to Mapped Mode and three new devices are found by WinXP: Control Manager Device 1, 2 and 3 (and of course there corresponding HID Game Controller). I think this is normal and does not pose a problem. Previous experiments where I combined the three devices into one were no success since not al axis were available then.

But there stil remain two issues:
1) I am unable to calibrate the levers to give zero at the detent position;
2) although within CP I can use the full aft position (passed detent position) of a lever on the TQ I am unable to assign this (virtual) button within FS2004. I simply cannot assign button 13 to "Throttle decrease quickly";

I am curious to your configuration. You do not use any other assignment/configuration within CP? No scipting?

Finally a new issue: I use TeamSpeak to communicate with the IVAO network. I configured the ScrollLock key as 'speak button'. Using my Sidewinde Pro I was able to use a program called JoyToKey to 'map' a pres of a joystick button to the Scrollloack-key. How can I achieve this withing CP without using JoyToKey, since the combination JoyToKey - Yoke-button does not seem to work (not in my current configuration or using combining the 3 devices).

I would appreciate your comment/ideas/solutions.

Kind regards
Bart

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think you're going beyond my knowledge level. I have the CH control manager(CM) program installed because it causes all of the axises and buttons to show up when I test controllers. I use it in the Direct mode, no scripting, maps or virtual anything. All controllers are separate and all of my key assignments are from within Flight Simulator. I may not be using the CM program to it's full potential but I don't really understand it. I got to the point where it did what I wanted and stopped. I've never studied the program so I don't know all the tricks and procedures. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Finally a new issue: I use TeamSpeak to communicate with the IVAO network. I configured the ScrollLock key as 'speak button'. Using my Sidewinde Pro I was able to use a program called JoyToKey to 'map' a pres of a joystick button to the Scrollloack-key. How can I achieve this withing CP without using JoyToKey, since the combination JoyToKey - Yoke-button does not seem to work (not in my current configuration or using combining the 3 devices).

The paid version of FSUIPC.dll should give you that functionality, though if that is all you use it for, it is a bit pricey.

TheGoog Guest

Hello CRJCapt,

hmmm, maybe the root of my problem lies in the fact that the map when saved defaults to mapped mode. OK, I will do some further experimenting and will let you know the outcome.

Bart

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...