Longest airport

just a little question..

what is the top 10 longest airport in the world?

Answers 35 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This is all I could find, in a list format.

Airports > USA > Top 10 Longest Runways

1 - Denver Intl Airport (DEN) in Denver, CO has a 16,000' x 200' runway.

2 - Southern California Logistics Airport (VCV) in Victorville, CA has a 15,050' x 150' runway.

3 - Edwards AFB Airport (EDW) in Edwards, CA has a 15,013' x 300' runway.

4 - Nasa Shuttle Landing Facility Airport (X6😎 in Titusville, FL has a 15,000' x 300' runway.

5 - Vandenberg AFB Airport (VBG) in Lompoc, CA has a 15,000' x 200' runway.

6 - John F Kennedy Intl Airport (JFK) in New York, NY has a 14,572' x 150' runway.

7 - Mc Carran Intl Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas, NV has a 14,510' x 150' runway.

8 - Eielson AFB Airport (EIL) in Fairbanks, AK has a 14,507' x 150' runway.

9 - Fallon Nas /Van Voorhis Fld/ Airport (NFL) in Fallon, NV has a 14,003' x 201' runway.

10 - Fairchild AFB Airport (SKA)in Spokane, WA has a 13,901' x 200' runway.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Qamdo Bamda Airport (昌都邦達機場), Tibet, China (30°33′N 97°06′E) - 18,045 ft (5500 m) concrete, of which 13,779 ft (4200 m) currently meets 4D standard. Bamda's runway is also the highest in world, with altitude at 14,219 ft (4334 m). [1] [2]

Shigatse Peace Airport (日喀則和平機場), Tibet, China (29°21′N 89°19′E) - 16,404 ft (5000 m) concrete, not in use, renovation starts in 2007 with projected completion in 2009. [3]

Embraer Gaviao Peixoto, Brazil (21°46′S 48°24′W) - 16,295 ft (4967 m) asphalt [4]

Upington, South Africa (28°24′S 21°16′E) - 16,076 ft (4900 m) asphalt [5]

Denver International Airport, Colorado, USA (39°52′N 104°40′W) - 16,000 ft (4877 m) concrete [6]

Edwards Air Force Base, California, USA (34°54′N 117°53′W) - 15,013 ft (4576 m) concrete [7] The famous dry lake bed "runways" are of considerable length (the longest is 39,000 feet by 900 feet), but have little improvement other than markings and are not comparable to other runways in this category. As a military installation, the runways are not normally available for use by air carrier or civilian aircraft.

Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, USA (34°44′N 120°35′W) - 15,000 ft (4572 m) concrete [8] As a military installation, the runway is not normally available for use by air carrier or civilian aircraft.

Kennedy Space Center, Shuttle Landing Field, Florida, USA (28°37′N 80°41′W) - 15,000 ft (4572 m) concrete [9] As a military installation, the runway is not normally available for use by air carrier or civilian aircraft.

Kennedy International Airport, New York, New York, USA (40°38′N 73°47′W) - 14,572 ft (4441 m) concrete [10]

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, USA (64°40′N 147°6′W) - 14,500 ft (4420 m) concrete [11] As a military installation, the runway is not normally available for use by air carrier or civilian aircraft.

Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport, Texas, USA (35°13′N 101°42′W) - 13,502 ft (4115 m) concrete [12]

Colorado Springs Municipal Airport, Colorado, USA - 13,500 ft concrete [13]

O'Hare International Airport, Chicago, Illinois, USA (41°59′N 87°54′W) - 13,000 ft (4023 m) concrete [14]
🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

and what about Area51? I have an addon in my FS9 and it has 20 000ft 🙂 Or do some people will say 'it doesn't exist...'? Ninja Secret

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Sico2 wrote:

and what about Area51? I have an addon in my FS9 and it has 20 000ft 🙂 Or do some people will say 'it doesn't exist...'? Ninja Secret

Rwy 14/32 at the Groom Lake Facility is approximately 27,000 ft. It exists. Area 51 has never been an official designation of the facility, however.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

bigger doesnt mean better, egll is the buisiest airport in the world FACT, dont even argue.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

beerbadger wrote:

bigger doesnt mean better, egll is the buisiest airport in the world FACT, dont even argue.

🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airport

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004547.html

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

beerbadger wrote:

I won't argue, but your statement has nothing to do with the question that was asked. Which, if I recall, had something to do with the longest runway and not even the biggest airport, let alone, the busiest or best. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Ulyanovsk-Vostochny International Airport (UWLW), Russia is the longest runway in the world as far as I know at 16410ft (that is fully operational and of which the whole length can be used i.e. can be constantly used for take off and landings, excluding extended parts just used for emergencies) Could be wrong though 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Wait, the original poster asked:

Most of us assumed runway length. What if we're wrong? 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

According to the fact the he use's the word longest and not largest or biggest he could probably mean the runway length...Of course maybe im wrong... Dont Know 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

check this one, it's fun: http://www.phl.org/live_video.html

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

According to the fact the he use's the word longest and not largest or biggest he could probably mean the runway length...Of course maybe im wrong... Dont Know 😉

He could have menat the length of the airport, not just the runway. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Sico2 wrote:

Have I missed something? Or maybe I should post my recipe for Chipotle Chili con Carne in this thread. 🙄

Ryan F. Guest

eh.. it's kinda 'dinky' compared to these colosal numbers you guys are throwing out.. but Stewart Intl Airport (KSWF), near my house, has an 11,818 ft runway. i thought it's pretty neat seeing that it's a small regional jet airport. (although the national guard does operate C-5s out of stewart.)

i was amazed to find out that 1 of only 2 Antonov AN-225s in the world was at Stewart back in 2003. I'm kicking myself for missing that one!

photos at stewart (AN-225):

more at airliners.net...[/img]

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

He could have menat the length of the airport, not just the runway. 😀

Hmmm...yes he could but i find it more logic asking about the runway... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Sico2 wrote:

Have I missed something? Or maybe I should post my recipe for Chipotle Chili con Carne in this thread. 🙄

I think Sico2 was just trying to provide a link that he though would be of interest to us, nothing wrong with that M8. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

Sico2 wrote:

I think Sico2 was just trying to provide a link that he though would be of interest to us, nothing wrong with that M8. 😀

There is something wrong in this link but its not dear Sico's fault...
Real Player... No, No! No, No! No, No!

Last edited by Greekman72 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
freedspeak First Officer

Wow Ryan, would have loved to see that AN225 also. That would be second best to only seeing the shuttle.

Myself and 2 or 3 other buddies jumped into Stewart one night. We got out of two airplanes , part of a formation of five. These planes were the
"Stormville Flyers" a bunch of Cessna pilots who loved to fly formation. Their night flights became regarded as possible UFO sightings. Dutchess county became "the place" to watch for UFO's. Was even written up in Scientific American.

Anyway we landed and looked up our buddie who was working the night shift there. We 'dropped in' to surprise him. Stashed our gear and went back out onto the tarmac to check out a Boeing 7something cargo plane. There was nobody around and an airstair led up to the open door. We thought 'why not' lets go check it out. Went up the stairs and in the main cargo area was a row of giant generators. Then we entered to cockpit and sat in the seats. All the time unchallenged by anyone. We exited the airplane and nobody was the wiser. Nowdays we could have been arrested as terrorists. A short time later the crew emerged and started her up. We found out it was bound for Germany. I decided to stand behind the jet some distance away and see what the blast felt like.
Smelt like being inside a lit kerosene stove.

What an amazing lack of security compared to today. This was back around 1980.

Ahh, Stewart Airport ... what memories.

Pro Member Chief Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

Sico2 wrote:

Doesn't matter any more. The original subject has been lost in the noise. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Affirmative!!
😀 😀 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

😂 😂 😂

Its not the first time that something like that happens...A post in order to stay interesting and focused in the basic point needs a little care from the first poster...If guest was present here ,with a simple thanks or no i was asking about this or that from his side, things would be different ... 😉

Ryan F. Guest

yeah.. i'll admit i sidetracked this one, sorry guys..

If guest was present here ,with a simple thanks or no i was asking about this or that from his side, things would be different

...greekman has a good point though, lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ryan F. wrote:

yeah.. i'll admit i sidetracked this one, sorry guys..

If guest was present here ,with a simple thanks or no i was asking about this or that from his side, things would be different

...greekman has a good point though, lol

So you was the guest Ryan???

Although you come back you didnt seem that you clean-up things... 😂 😂 😂 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

hehe, relax guys, just wanted to show you a nice link to one of the busiest airports in usa. Philadelhia.which is also main base for UPS, this link could show us picture from live cam on some of many gates. The quality and picture speed was very good, thought it would be interesting. Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Sico2 wrote:

hehe, relax guys, just wanted to show you a nice link to one of the busiest airports in usa. Philadelhia.which is also main base for UPS, this link could show us picture from live cam on some of many gates. The quality and picture speed was very good, thought it would be interesting. Radar

It deserved its own thread.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

beerbadger wrote:

🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airport

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004547.html

Radar

Taken from that page...

Heathrow Airport, London, United Kingdom

World's Busiest International Airport [2].
Largest number of international passengers annually (2004) [3].

Ryan F. Guest

Greekman.. No i am not "guest"

i dont post under any other name

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ryan F. wrote:

Greekman.. No i am not "guest"

i dont post under any other name

Ok now you confused me more... Wacko Wall Bashing Ill

😂 😂 😂

Ryan F. Guest

aw hell.. I'm confused too. 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

this forum post has gone down the drain..

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Since we have several answers and the point has been covered...Lets let it rest... 😉 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This won't be too easy now, seeing that this has gone into a third page.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

A Longest Airport discussion doesnt deserves a long thread? 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

It does, but if one removes the posts that aren't about the longest airport, this isn't a long thread.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

It does, but if one removes the posts that aren't about the longest airport, this isn't a long thread.

😂 😂 😂

Obviously... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

As I turn back the pages of this topic and count the replies to this thread, I can see a pattern emerging.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...