longest runways

Pro Member Trainee
chrissie Trainee

Hey does anyone know what is the longest runway in the world and if so do you know the ICAO???

Also, what about other longest runways that are close to this longest runway in the world?  I would love to learn about many long runways (and why they may be long).

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

In the USA:

http://www.myafd.com/top10/longest_runways.asp

I'm getting conflicting answers for the "in the world" part, but the claim is that the answer is a USAF base that accommodates the space shuttle. As to those open to commercial/GA traffic, hard to say. Logic suggests it will be in Nepal, Tibet or somewhere else in the Himalayas, since the altitude would probably require longer takeoff rolls.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Ulyanovsk-Vostochny International Airport (UWLW), Russia is the longest runway in the world at 16404ft

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

This site:

http://www.tibetinfor.com/tibetzt/changdu/c1_2.htm

claims a runway in Tibet at 5500 metres, which seems to be around 18,000 ft. Unfortunately I can't find any other reference to it. Make of this what you will 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When I want a long empty runway I always go here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwards_Air_Force_Base

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Vostochny (Russia) 16404 ft
Gavia (Brazil) 16295 ft
Upington (South Africa) 16076 ft
Harare (Zimbabwae) 15502 ft
Kinshasha Ndjili (Congo) 15420 ft
Mafikeng (South Africa) 15158 ft
Hawange National Park (Zimbabwe) 15091 ft
Edwards AFB (USA) 15013 ft
Burdan Tibet 18,000 ft +

Edit: That last one is suspect. I can't find any confirmation of it. And Chinese sites contradict each other regarding airports in Tibet.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Yeah, that last one is the one I was trying to locate. Can't find mention of it in any ICAO database site.

I'm curious enough to keep looking, but you're right: it is certainly suspect.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

It wouldn't surprise me if it existed. China isn't exactly open about what they do in Tibet.

Pro Member Trainee
chrissie Trainee

Thanks everyone for all the information. It was very helpful.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if it existed. China isn't exactly open about what they do in Tibet.

This is certainly true.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Z14P Iran 16569
SB4E Brazil 16296
UWLW Russia 16179
FAUP South Africa 16109
FAMM South Africa 15726
FVHA Zimbabwe 15500
MMMX Mexico 15442
FZAA Congo 15279
FZAA Congo 15279
Z14N Iran 15201
FVWN Zimbabwe 15089
OTBD Qatar 15034
X68 United States 15029
FYWH Namibia 15009
KEDW United States 15009

All units in feet.

Pro Member Trainee
Graham (graham05) Trainee

CRJCapt wrote:

Z14P Iran 16569
SB4E Brazil 16296
UWLW Russia 16179
FAUP South Africa 16109
FAMM South Africa 15726
FVHA Zimbabwe 15500
MMMX Mexico 15442
FZAA Congo 15279
FZAA Congo 15279
Z14N Iran 15201
FVWN Zimbabwe 15089
OTBD Qatar 15034
X68 United States 15029
FYWH Namibia 15009
KEDW United States 15009

All units in feet.

Z14P Iran 16569 IS LONG. but I was just there in fs and it looks like they just turned the road into a runway. 😂 ROFL

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello!

Great question! The longest runway in the world, as far as I know is the one at Qamdo Bamda Airport (IATA: BPX, ICAO: ZUBD) in Tibet, China. This runway stretches a staggering 5,500 meters (18,045 feet) in length. The reason behind its extraordinary length is due to the airport's elevation, which is about 4,334 meters (14,219 feet) above sea level. At such high altitudes, air density is significantly lower, which in turn requires aircraft to achieve higher ground speeds for takeoff. Consequently, a longer runway is needed to provide the extra distance required for aircraft to achieve these higher speeds and generate sufficient lift.

Here are some other notable long runways from around the world:

• Ramenskoye Airport (IATA: ZIA, ICAO: UUBW) in Moscow, Russia, has a runway that measures 5,402 meters (17,723 feet). This airport is primarily used for testing and development of new aircraft, so its long runway enables various takeoff and landing configurations to be assessed safely.
  • Shuttle Landing Facility (ICAO: KTTS), located at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, USA, boasts a runway that is 4,572 meters (15,000 feet) long. This lengthy runway was specifically designed to accommodate the space shuttle upon its return from space, as well as other spacecraft and experimental aircraft.
  • Upington Airport (IATA: UTN, ICAO: FAUP) in South Africa has a runway that spans 4,900 meters (16,076 feet). Originally built as an alternative landing site for the space shuttle, it is now utilized for both civilian and cargo flights.

While these are just a few examples of lengthy runways, there are numerous other airports around the globe with similarly long runways. Generally, you'll find that long runways are constructed to accommodate larger aircraft, to allow for varying takeoff and landing configurations, or to compensate for environmental factors like high altitudes or strong prevailing winds.

I hope this information proves helpful in your quest to learn more about the world's longest runways. Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...