SID/STAR updating

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Hello all,
You may realize I have been very much involved in the 737NG, and I'm close to having mastered it, however I went over to launch a quick flight from KMCO to KMIA, when I realized that the SID referred to in my flightplan was not available in the FMC. Now recently, I have tried to update the SIDS/STARS for the FMC, however apparently, I didn't do this correctly. I just downloaded the updated SIDS/STARS, and placed them in the PMDG/SIDSTARS folder located in the main FS9 directory, overwriting whatever was to be overwritten. Is this the correct way to do things, because the results prove me wrong. If someone is able to give me a brief set of instructions regarding how to go about updating the FMC's dep/arr routes, then I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks 😉

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

As you already know, I don't have your program but I want to help. Look at the item below. I don't know if you've seen it, if you have I will continue to look for your answer.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=136&topic_id=66852&mesg_id=66852&page=

🙂

Pro Member Captain

Ah - I have come across this, and I've followed it to the best of my ability, however it still hasen't worked. Just to be sure, for any of you who do have the 737NG, in your FMC, are you able to find the Vero Beach (VRB) Departure for KMCO? If so, then I'm doing something wrong. If not, then it is a restricted SID.

CRJ Capt, I understand you don't have this product, but the fact that you were willing to take a look around for me says a lot about the type of person you are (not that we had any doubts) 😉

Thank you

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Your welcome. 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Do you have the KMCO SID/STAR file in you PMGD file (I'm sure you've checked but it thought i'd ask 😉 )

If not i can send you mine

Pro Member Captain

Yes, I do, and yes, I have, and in that file, it says I should have the VRB departure, however it's not available in the FMC Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain

Well, I've made an improvement (somewhat)

I found out that VRB is not a SID of MCO, and I didn't notice that on the flightplan, despite the fact that I requested SIDS/STARS all throughout the flight, they only gave me a STAR.

But then I came across another problem, which I assume can be fixed quite quickly. I came in to set the ARR STAR for KMIA (Miami), when I realized that the STAR (VRB) was not available. So I went back to the SIDSTARS directory in the main FS9 directory, and opened up the document containing NAV info for MIA. It turned out that VRB was a transition for the HEATT6 arrival. How am I supposed to know that when I open the FMC. Am I supposed to go through every STAR, and look at their transitions to see if VRB is one of them? I highly doubt it, however I could be wrong, and would appreciate it if somebody could kindly guide me in this area of darkness 😉

matt7723 Guest

Crosscheck,

What program or webpage are you using for your flightplans? If you are not allready, I would really reccomend using Simroutes.com.

When flying these routes, are you using the charts? The charts will have everything you need on them. All you would have needed to do in this situation is take a quick glance at the charts and see which departure had the VRB transition.

http://www.airnav.com

I use that site for any charts I dont have. Just enter in the code for the airport and you will find EVERYTHING you need. It has frequencies, numbers, information, charts etc.

Hope this helped!

Matt

Pro Member Captain

First off, thank you for your detailed post Matt. I appreciate your kind help 😉

For my flightplans, I've been using "Routefinder", however I've recently found a few errors in their flightplans. As far as the charts go, it depends on which aircraft I've been flying. You see, if I'm using an aircraft with Sophisticated FMC, I don't really need the charts (althought technically, I should have them), however when I use freeware aircraft that aren't FMC capable, I just fly the route as if it is VOR to VOR. I know there are many websites for charts all over the world, and I think airnav is the best for the U.S, and so I will take your advice, and start using them more often 😉 .

One more quick question if you don't mind -- Embarassed

Last night, I wanted to make a quick flight from Frankfurt (EDDF) to Dusseldorf (EDDL), and so I got my route from Routefinder. Routefinder had given me one waypoint to act as my SID/STAR, and ATC didn't like that, so they went to a different website, (fpc.vacc-sag.org), which can be used for flightplans in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (I think). Anyways, I got my route, however there was no NAV info for any of the waypoints. It just gave me names. Now if I had departure/arrival charts, that would have helped for part of the flight, but what about the enroute charts? Now thats a lot of charts to look for, for every flight. I'm assuming everybody does something different, because there's got to be an alternative. Do all these fellow pilots who fly on VATSIM, have charts for every phase of their flight? Your answers would be very much appreciated, and please excuse me if I've have not clarified my point as well as I should have. 😉

matt7723 Guest

Crosscheck,

Im not exactly sure what your asking but Ill take a shot at it.

I went to the vacc-sag website and it gave me this route for your flight:

FL000-FL245 ARPEG2F ARPEG T850 ALEDA ALEDA1G

Is this it?

If so, then in the FMC you will pick the ARPEG2F departure and the ARPEG transition. Then on the RTE page put T850 on the left side and ALEDA on the right. Finally go back into DEP/ARR and pick the ALEDA1G arrival with the ALEDA transition. ATC will give you the runway and approach later.

If thats not working, try updating your AIRAC. Go to http://www.navdata.at Download the most current AIRAC and also download any new STAR/SID if you need them.

Matt

Pro Member Captain

Just saw something strange -- I opened up the file containing Nav info for EDDF, and saw this -- 4th line from the bottom says ARPEG SIDs were removed -- How come? 😕

// EDDF - FRANKFURT MAIN
// Copyrighted 02/09/2006 by Alex Laske
// Derived from AIP IFR Germany - Gate Positions, STARs & Approaches by Samy Jay Greve
// Valid from 16 March 2006 until further notice.
// Changes made: New MARUN-SIDs added, WRB- and ARPEG-SIDs removed; BIBOS-, TOBAK-,
// SOBRA- and ULKIG-SIDs updated; RATIM-SIDs removed because
// those SIDs are for Prop Acft only!!

Pro Member Captain

Does this mean that my version is not updated, or ATC gave me a faulty route?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Is there anywhere I can download big batches of SIDs/STARs that are PMDG compatible? Or do I just have to download them airport by airport as I need them?

Thanks a lot!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...