Funky Guages

Sphanum1 Guest

I'm cruising at FL255 on my way from KSFO to KJFK in my A320 at 300 on my airspeed indicator. All of a sudden it drops down to 250 and then way down to 150. My authothrottle reves to full power, obviously, to compensate and then my guages correct and I'm suddenly at 375, which is 25 overpeed. Oops! I know now that I'm going to get dinged for going overspeed in this airplane, but it was a bad guage that caused it.

1) What causes the airspeed indicator to go haywire other than just beign broken?

2) Anyway I can declare bad guages so that I don't get dinged with it at the end of my flight (in the FSPassenger report)?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Pitot Heat! I'm not sure about your A320, but the default 777 doesn't have a cockpit switch for it, you have to push Shift-H, or something like that...have I mentioned lately that I hate the default 777? Oh, I have! Well, I need to say it again. lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Pitot heat may come on with the de-Ice system, no way to tell in the default Boeing 777. Don't forget to turn in de-Ice systems with a temp. below zero degrees C in the clouds. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

CRJCapt wrote:

Pitot heat may come on with the de-Ice system, no way to tell in the default Boeing 777. Don't forget to turn in de-Ice systems with a temp. below zero degrees C in the clouds. 🙂

It absolutely does not, because I had the same problem flying San Fran to Sydney, my entire airspeed system failed, showing 0 knots, I assumed FSPax had blown out the Pitot/Static system(although altitude was still working). I checked the de-ice switch, which was on, so I declared an emergency and diverted to Honolulu, where I was docked for declaring an emergency when none-existed...

Stupid 777. P.S. I sold it and bought a 747...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Shift-H is a necessity. It is a omission of FS not to give you any way to know if pitot heat is on or not. There are a number of planes that will exhibit the problem of deice being on, but not pitot heat.

The reason FSP says no emergency existed is because the limited criteria it uses in determining an emergency condition, do not take into account that you can't determine your airspeed.

When it does happen, hit shift H until it corrects itself. Look at your GPS ground speed and your altitude. Do the math to determine your approximate airspeed. Oh yes, shtift Z will give you the winds at your altitude so you can factor that in as well.

One other thing. At the first sign of a percipitous drop in IAS, disengage A/T and use your throttle to get back to where it at least sounds normal.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total

Can you guys believe that I've been flying on and off for almost a year and I just learned something new (and that has happened to me as well)? I wish somebody would like post a list of things that could happen, I'd have some fun reading that.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...