Two possibly dumb questions...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

First of all, what the heck are DME radials and how to do I use DME as this depature procedure explains.

Trying to figure it out, and please explain how to do it in FS not real world, that would just confuse me even more.

Secondly, what the heck does the yaw damper do, just something that I've always wondered.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Don Wood Guest

There are no such things as DME radials. Radials are the radio signals that eminate from VOR's and define a specific bearing for that particular VOR. There are 360 radials from each VOR, one for each degree of magnetic bearing from that radial. For example, the 270 radial of a VOR is the line heading due west from that VOR.

Some but not all VOR's also have DME (distance measuring equipment). That device, along with associated equipment in the aircraft, will tell you how far you are from the VOR/DME that is being recieved. If you are on the 270 radial of the VOR and the DME receiver set to that VOR/DME registers 13.4, it means you are exactly 13.4 miles west of that VOR.

As you have discovered, both radials and DME fixes are used in many IFR enroute, terminal, and approach procedures to define paths to fly or points along the procedure. Radials and DME fixes are also commonly used in VFR navigation.

Yaw is the unstable movement of an aircraft from side to side. Sometimes yaw is induced by the pilot, either on purpose or accidentally through overcontrol. Some aircraft are engineered with a tendancy toward yaw to allow them to be more manueverable. A yaw damper is a device on the aircraft that provides automatic opposite control to prevent or minimize yaw.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Woo, thank you, now I finally understand the SID's, now to just figure out the wonderful STAR's. 🙂

Btw is the yaw damper even simulated in FS if anyone knows?

Btw great thing about Radar Contact 4 is if there are published depature procedures are told to follow them and climb to certain altitude.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...