4 helicopters in convoy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Saw them flying over Booker airfield from the general direction of RAF Benson.

Was a motley crew, looked like a lynx, something huge - single main rotor config, a Chinook and a Sea King

headed towards heathrow kind of direction...

anyone else see em?

they must have been only at about 500 - 1000 feet up

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I could'nt have seen any thing,I'm 1200 kilometers away,But I could suggest that you saw a Sikorsky HH-53 Jollygreen Giant:

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

not likely! I live in Surrey. It is a regular flightpath for RAF helicopters and we regularly get maybe 3 or 4 lynx's or chinooks flying over. You can tell it is the chinooks because the rotor noise is different. Ihave never seen a jolly green thing because the RAF don't operate them.
I think you are reffering to the Merlin helicopter- the most modern combat heli in the world!

Pro Member Chief Captain

I though the most modern was the rah-66 Comanche.

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

in service.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

yes, it was one of those..

that was 2nd in the precession, something very small at the lead - look lynx-ish followed by a Chinook and a bright yellow heli which I assume is a sea king.

An odd collection of aircraft - must have been some air show or something happening somewhere?

I couldn't spend too much time staring as I was riding my bike along at the time 🙂

I can usually tell its a chinook cos you can see its one 🙂 lol

I saw one display at Duxford the year before last, absolutely amazing, i was certain it was going to snap in 2 at any second, pilot was amazing!

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

For whatever reason this post reminded me of helicopters landing in vietnam during past wars. Particularly the huey helicopter. So here are some pictures of the web of this fantastic helicopter in action.

Let rest the souls of those men who have died fighting for their country trying to create democracy in the world.

Interesting quote "the next world war will be faught with sticks and stones"

Pro Member Chief Captain

Great pics,tartanaviation.Last year I saw a formation of 3 spitfires,and asked what the hell they were doing there. 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

I live close to Colchester which is the HQ of 16 Air Assault Brigade - their Lynx and Chinooks regularly fly over my house - they also keep me awake at night when they're exercising!
When the USAF were in residence at local bases - now closed - the 'Jolly Green Giants' (HH-3E's?) used to practice picking up space capsules in the Blackwater River estuary at the back of my house.
The large single rotor aircraft was probably a Sikorsky MH-53M which is a current version.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...