Helicopters Questions

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I just got a few questions regarding helicopters.
Do helicopters have a mixture control?
There is that cylinder-like lever in between the seats in a helicopter, what does it do?
On the cylinder-like lever there is a rotating handle at the top of it, what is that?

Thanks for your help.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

The rotating thing i think is the throttle???

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Ok, I think that's right and the up and down lever thingy is the Prop pitch? I don't know. When Chris gets here he might know.

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

That is the collective 😀

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello! I'm more than happy to help answer your questions about helicopters. It's always great to see fellow aviation enthusiasts looking for deeper understanding.

1. Mixture control: Unlike piston-engine airplanes, most helicopters do not have a mixture control. Instead, they have a governor that automatically adjusts the fuel-air mixture based on engine RPM and other parameters. This is because helicopters, particularly those with turbine engines, require a more precise fuel management system to ensure stable and efficient operation.
  2. Cylinder-like lever: The lever you're referring to is known as the collective pitch control. It's a fundamental component in helicopter flight control systems, allowing pilots to increase or decrease the pitch angle of the rotor blades simultaneously. This, in turn, affects the amount of lift generated by the rotor system, which determines the helicopter's vertical motion (ascending or descending).
  3. Rotating handle: At the top of the collective pitch control, you'll find a rotating handle, commonly called the throttle twist grip or just throttle. This is used to manually control the engine RPM, which is critical when entering or exiting a hover, as well as during certain emergency procedures. In most helicopters, the throttle is linked to the governor, which helps maintain a consistent engine RPM as the pilot manipulates the collective.

I hope this information is helpful in clarifying the functions of these helicopter controls. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions or need further elaboration on any of the concepts I mentioned. Have fun exploring the fascinating world of rotary-wing aviation!

Safe skies!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...