A320 should be able to fly on one engine, right?

Sphagnum1 Guest

I took off from KSJC and was all but 20nm on approach to KDFW, 1300nm flight, when my right engine flamed out. At the time I was roughly 4000 ft decending to 2400 then planning on hitting up the glide slope for a nice landing. I had taken off with a full load but being at the end of my flight, I only had 1500 or so gallons of fuel left so i was nowhere near capacity weight wise. When the engine flamed out, I thought it wasn't a HUGE problem since I was already lined up with the runway and decending...

But I found that i was unable to even hold level flight. I leveled out to get a few miles under me to meet the glideslope but found my speed decreasing rather rapidly. I had my gear down and flaps at 20 at the time, should I have pulled my flaps up and gear in until I hit the runway? I ended up not even being able to keep in flight long enough to reach the airport and crashed a couple of miles beforehand.

Suggestions?

Also, the FSPax report said that I should have noticed before takeoff that one engine was putting out less than full power. I never do any checks before takeoff. I'm not going to be a real pilot or anything, so I just trust the simulator is set up correctly. Can anyone point to a checklist to go over for a A320 so I dont' have this happen in the future? Thanks a million!

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Real world yes you should be able to fly SE in an A320...and land. Did you apply full power to the remaining engine?
This is one of the things that happens in FS Pax but i think you can change the settings to no failures...takes away the fun for me..I like one per flight!
When you are ready to start your TO roll apply half throttle check then engines spool up together....if yes then apply TO power if not abandon the TO.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

PH is right. I agree with him 😉

Oh, here's the A320 Checklist ➡

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/Freebies/HandlingNotes/simchecklists.asp

Sphagnum1 Guest

Yeah, I was putting out 105% from the left engine, trying to maintain at least a couple hundred feet of decent, and still losing airspeed until I finally stalled out and crashed. Frustrating... Thanks for the checklist Agus

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

I never do any checks before takeoff. I'm not going to be a real pilot or anything, so I just trust the simulator is set up correctly.

but isn't the purpose of FSPassengers to simulate what being a real-world pilot is like? Umm...

besides.. doing a quick run-through of your instruments and control surfaces will only take 60 seconds of your time. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Sphagnum1 wrote:

Yeah, I was putting out 105% from the left engine, trying to maintain at least a couple hundred feet of decent, and still losing airspeed until I finally stalled out and crashed. Frustrating... Thanks for the checklist Agus

You know what I would do in that case? Turn off the engine with the failure. Then I would apply 100% N1 of thrust. That is a little dangerous because the engine may catch fire, but since you were close to the runway it should be that much problem.
Then I would set the flaps back to Flaps 1 or 2. Or maybe I would do a flapless landing. That will keep the aircraft on the air enough to land the aircraft safely. Don't use reverse thrust, since you applied a lot of thrust to the other engine. No autobrake. You do it manually. And don't forget to use the spoilers.

Try that if you have a similar problem in the future. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

pilotguy44 wrote:

but isn't the purpose of FSPassengers to simulate what being a real-world pilot is like? Umm...

FSPassengers simulates what someone thinks is real-world.

If it actually were simulating real-world, the following wouldn't happen.

1. Malfunctions wouldn't occur at a rate so high, no one would risk flying.
2. The cabin crew wouldn't announce you were descending to your destination because you dropped down to get out of those headwinds at FL360.
3. The cabin crew wouldn't hand you a beverage every 20 minutes.
4. Would warn you when you were entering restricted airspace, rather than just shooting at you.
5. The cabin crew wouldn't try to serve a meal on a 1/2 hour flight.

There are more, I don't remember them since I turned off a lot of those "features" and always tell FSPassengers I'm hauling cargo, not passengers. It might be a lie, but cartons and crates don't give a damn about whether I played music while taxiing, or object, if I play musinc in flight. 🙄 And they never scream! 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pilotguy44 wrote:

If that indeed was the purpose, nobody would buy it. The idea is to entertain you in a pleasant way and reward you and if you mess up to reprimand you in an hilarious way. Keeps you coming back and exclaiming 'Wow, this is cool, I'm having a great time!!'

I'm not against FSpax - having fun is my favorite pastime, but the real-world pilot's existence is not always fun.

If you were to sell a product aimed mainly at the younger demography, would you take the fun out of it? Of course not! You wouldn't be able to sell your product. Idea

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

no i realize that it might not come close to the actual reality of being a pilot.. but i think its the closest thing out there for a flight simulation

besides.. you can put messages, seat belt signs, etc.. on your own manual control.. i only serve beverages and food when i feel it's necessary.

also.. the rate at which disasters occur can be turned down.. even to zero.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pilotguy44 wrote:

no i realize that it might not come close to the actual reality of being a pilot.. but i think its the closest thing out there for a flight simulation

besides.. you can put messages, seat belt signs, etc.. on your own manual control.. i only serve beverages and food when i feel it's necessary.

To put this into some perspective: I disagree with the notion that this is the closest thing to a flight simulation. Regarding messages, seatbelt signs etc., there have been panels and add-on gauges available long before FSpax saw the light of day. During a real world emergency situation, much of the cabincrew activity is not initiated by the flightcrew anyway as they are too busy controlling the aircraft.

If I want 'as real as it gets' I choose an a/c that's up to the task (failurewise) and if that's not enough workload for me, I retrofit it with a panel with all the switches that will let me activate the cabincrew's and possibly pilot's and first officer's chatter.

Let's remember that in a real, dire emergency often there is no communication between flight- and cabincrew.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...