Air Scheffel Boeing 737-800

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Found this on FlightSim

Do a search for "as_b738.zip". Mine you it is a big download of 45.5MB.
FS2004 Air Scheffel Boeing 737-800 with winglets. Includes aircraft, sound, sound effects, hi-res panel with PFD/MFD/EICAS, photoreal interior views, animations, and much more. Includes installer.

Enjoy

Liono

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Nice find Liono 👍 Thanks for the heads up 😉

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Wow very nice indeed - Thanks! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks Liono, nice find -- another busy night ahead Hack 😀

Sphagnum1 Guest

Sounds really cool, and I'm looking for it, but not finding it. I typed as_b738.zip into the google search bar near the top of FlightSim.com and nothing comes up (in the site search, obviously, not teh global search). Do you have a direct download? Or am I searching in the wrong place....

Sphagnum1 Guest

Ah, I figured it out. You have to log in first. Did the bugmenot login and found the file no problem... Thanks! I'm excited to try it out now Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

on flightsim.com you must go to the file library and search for the filename there, there is a specific box for it 😎

Sphagnum1 Guest

Just a follow up... I downloaded this plane and I'm diggin it. It's really cool. Only thing is that when i went to run it with FS Passengers, I came to find the payloads were all screwed up. They have this plane set up with a max payload capacity of something like 130,000 lbs when it should be 174. They have the max fuel at 5313 gallons when it should be like 6300. They even have the empty weight way too high.... There's plenty of data available on the net, I used this page for some of it, but the aircraft.cgf file needs to be changed with the correct info before it's used with Pax

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Cheers for the update Sphagnum1.

To those that have downloaded this lovely bird. Becarefull when you press the L key.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sphagnum1 wrote:

Just a follow up... I downloaded this plane and I'm diggin it. It's really cool. Only thing is that when i went to run it with FS Passengers, I came to find the payloads were all screwed up. They have this plane set up with a max payload capacity of something like 130,000 lbs when it should be 174. They have the max fuel at 5313 gallons when it should be like 6300. They even have the empty weight way too high.... There's plenty of data available on the net

Good to hear that you enjoy the aircraft. The payload, fuel and weight are not screwed up. To make those adjustments is just another part of your flight-planning. This is in fact much more realistic than the default aircraft in FS.
Have a look at any POSKY to name but one and you'll find that the max. weight by default is also way too much. Nothing wrong with it, that's the way it's supposed to be. It's part of your job to make those adjustments.

Keep enjoying 😀

Sphagnum1 Guest

Liono wrote:

Cheers for the update Sphagnum1.

To those that have downloaded this lovely bird. Becarefull when you press the L key.

Ha! Apparently "All lights" includes a fire in the left engine........ And thanks for warning me, my passengers sure didn't appreciate it when I pressed L at FL350 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

Sphagnum1 Guest

Tailhook wrote:

Good to hear that you enjoy the aircraft. The payload, fuel and weight are not screwed up. To make those adjustments is just another part of your flight-planning. This is in fact much more realistic than the default aircraft in FS.
Have a look at any POSKY to name but one and you'll find that the max. weight by default is also way too much. Nothing wrong with it, that's the way it's supposed to be. It's part of your job to make those adjustments.

I'm kinda confused, Tailhook. The way this aircraft is written, you are at 95% of max takeoff weight with fuel alone, no passengers or cargo. How can that be accurate? I changed the fuel quanities, max payload levels, and all to the levels I mentioned above and did a 1900nm flight (roughly the real range of this plane) coming in with fuel at 15%, which is right about where it should be. Had I done that flight without the load I was carrying (because supposively that plane can't take off with that much weight) I would have had way too much fuel upon landing... Can you explain what you mean please? I'm confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sphagnum1 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

I'm kinda confused, Tailhook. The way this aircraft is written, you are at 95% of max takeoff weight with fuel alone, no passengers or cargo. How can that be accurate? I changed the fuel quanities, max payload levels, and all to the levels I mentioned above and did a 1900nm flight (roughly the real range of this plane) coming in with fuel at 15%, which is right about where it should be. Had I done that flight without the load I was carrying (because supposively that plane can't take off with that much weight) I would have had way too much fuel upon landing... Can you explain what you mean please? I'm confused

You've got it allright, you're on the right track. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough.
The default aircraft in MSFS are made so that new pilots won't find it too difficult to fly them as the overall learning curve can be rather steep. You might have noticed that you can take a 747 and just fly it (within limits, of course), never worry about fuel or weight or anything else because by default all those factors remain constant.

Many third party freeware developers like POSKY make more realistic aircraft, in particular concerning the flight dynamics.

Try this, download a POSKY 747-400 and without making any changes, take off from the same airport and under the same weather conditions as you would with your default 747-400 straight out of MS fs9.
You might begin to wonder how to get this bird airborne.
When flying an aircraft with more realistic flight dynamics you'll see how important the correct flap settings are at t/o -- in the default aircraft it doesn't matter much.

Here is something I found at the POSKY site. It might help you understand why they do what they do:

Q) Why are the planes overweight by default? When I load the airplane
in FS2004, why is it overweight?

A) plane is overweight by default because MSFS maxes all
capacities on loading/startup. It is up to you, the pilot, to
remove the weight (payload vs fuel for capacity vs range).

I create the FDEs based on the expected performance of the planes
at their MAX weights. What you see in the FS2004 Payload and fuel
editor is the maximum weights for stations and fuel based on Boeing,
Airbus, or Bombadier's specifications for a typical trip. This way, as you
know the MAX value, you can reduce weight. This is easier than starting
at a lower weight, and everyone in the world wondering what is the
max rate.

You must fuel plan -- only take the fuel you need. You're not a KC-135
tankering fuel from one location to another. Remember you are an airline
pilot, and to save the company money, you only carry/use the fuel
necessary for your trip.

Hopefully I haven't confused you even more, give it some time and read it again later. You'll get the drift, it's not rocket science. Read 😀

Sphagnum1 Guest

I understand most of what you're saying. And yes, I've noticed that this plane is not the same as most others I've dl (didn't really ever fly too many default FS planes otehr than Cessnas). This plane requires much greater attention to load for sure! I'm in flight right now with my tail hanging down like it dropped a load because I didn't load my cargo correctly.

But I still don't understand the spec differences. For simplicities sake, explain to me why POSKY would have put a total fuel capacity of 5300 gallons for this plane in the cgf file when in reality the 737-800 holds more like 6800. It's got nothing to do with contact points, I just changed the size of the fuel tanks in the cfg cause it wasn't correct. This is what I dont' understand, why I had to do that... Can you please try again if I'm just being dense? 😂 😂

Sphagnum1 Guest

Well, just found my probelm:

description=Model by Eric Cantu of Flight-FX. Air Scheffel repaint by Arjan Scheffel

It isn't a POSKY 🙂

I just downloaded the POSKY version of this plane and the specs, at a quick glance, seem to be much more in the neighborhood with reality. I don't have the time or energy to fly it tonight, but I expect to try it out tomorrow sometime and I'll report back!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Well I didn't say the aircraft was a POSKY, I just used it as an example. There are many other teams which create freeware aircraft. Eric Cantu has been working with different teams over the years and they all have created more realistic aircraft in every which way than those straight out of MSFS.

The point I was trying to make earlier on was that if you just want to take a default jetliner for a spin for example, you can ignore the Flight Planner... and the Fuel and Payload... because everything is set up to make it easy for you (in effect less realistic).

When you fly better, more realistic aircraft on the other hand, you must include Flight Planner... and the Fuel and Payload... in your 'Create a Flight' -procedure.

Remember to check the Fuel and Payload... tab and in many cases you will find that the total weight has been exceeded. You must adjust it appropriately, otherwise your a/c will not fly properly, run out of fuel or be almost impossible to control.

If at this stage you can't quite get your head around why the authors of those aircraft 'overload' them by default, don't worry. First of all you want to fly as realistically as possible. Follow the prescribed procedures, take your time when you set up your flight and try to go as much as possible by the book and you'll be enjoying FS more and you'll also realise, that different aircraft require different procedures and handle differently. That's the beauty of it! 😀

Tailhook wrote:

First of all you want to fly as realistically as possible. Follow the prescribed procedures, take your time when you set up your flight and try to go as much as possible by the book and you'll be enjoying FS more and you'll also realise, that different aircraft require different procedures and handle differently. That's the beauty of it! 😀

That I do! The 737-800 model that started this thread starts, by default, cold and dark and has a very detailed checklist on how to start the aircraft, toggling all the correct switches, when to turn on which lights.... It's really great and helps me to get a better appreciation for real aviation. I really do like the aircraft.

I downloaded POSKY's version, which I like better now that I've flown it, but I kept the panel from the 737-800 that started this thread since it's "photo-realistic" and POSKY's is just default. Anyway, thanks for the info Tailhook! 🍻 Group Wave

Sphagnum1 Guest

Oh, blast... That last one was me. I really wish I could get my account working on this site so I wasn't a "guest" all the time Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I downloaded POSKY's version, which I like better now that I've flown it, but I kept the panel from the 737-800 that started this thread since it's "photo-realistic" and POSKY's is just default.

Way to go. I'm glad to hear that you're experimenting with retrofitting aircraft with different panels 👍 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...