Pinging sound in Flight Simulator

TimTim Guest

OK

I am a Flight Enthusiast (sorry for spelling) and would like it if there were a download to make a pinging sound everytime the wheels go up or down in a plane

Is there such thing about??

Thanks for the help in advance,
Tim

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

A ping??

😀 😀 😀

TimTim Guest

Eh... yeah??

Do you know what I am talking about??

When the plane is taking off, you hear a ping when the pilot raises the landing gear...

Is it possible to get this ping in Flight Simulator 2004??

Pro Member Chief Captain

Do you mean the 'ping' thats heard in the cabin???

😀 😀 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

In a real aircraft, there is no ping sound when the pilot raises the gear. You heard a signal for the Flight attendants. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

the ping is just some idiot that hits the "I NEED A FLIGHT ATTENDENT!!!! CAUSE IM A WUSS" or the flight attendents talking to the aliens.

TimTim Guest

No, I think you are wrong

There are two types of pings... a single ping (heard when gear is raised and as far as I know also when gear is lowered) and a double ping (ping-ppiinngg) when the pilot wants one of the cabin crew

To give an example of what I mean:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4260813827225496761

Watch it at 20seconds when the co-pilot raises the wheels

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think this is a simulator not a real craft.Probably there are some changes from reality in this part...I only suppose... Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

yes,that is a sim!(you can see,if a camera that records a screen,the scren comes out all flashing)it sounds like the seatbelt ping.

TimTim Guest

Yes, that video is a simulator but they do have that sound in real life planes as well (well some of them anyway)

I was in a Ryanair 737-800 yesterday on a flight from London Stansted to Dublin International Airport and I could see the shadow of the plane on the ground when taking off. I heard a ping, and wolla, the wheels went up, and the Ryanair plane I was on was real 🙂

Is there any way to make this happen for one or two planes in FS2004 (just maybe the 737). I never edited a planes files before in FS so I am new to it

TimTim Guest

And yes it is the same sound as a seatbelt ping but also works for the gears up and down on a plane

I would like to be able to edit the files of the b737_400 to make the sound for wheels up to change to the sound but with a ping mixed in there, if you know what I am saying

Also I would love if I was able to press a button to make a ping noise, but I don't think that is possible without using some sort of Reverse Engineering, which is illegal, and I don't know enough to do it

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

That could be a feature of the new models of aircraft, I have never heard of it. I don't even know what purpose it would serve. To answer your question, no there is no download for a ping. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you have a good download with excellent sounds you can hear the landing gear go up and down but as to the ping, I've never heard it in either real life or in the sim.
Get into designing gauges and aircraft and see how you can make a utility that can be installed to do that.
That's one of the joys of this sim, you can create and model what you want.

Radar

TimTim Guest

Alright, just forget about it then, it was a bit hopeless from the start anyway Wink

RadarMan, what is that download with the great sounds (I just like great sounds, whether it has a ping or not 🙂)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't know what type of aircraft your looking for but go to www.avsim.com (free sign-up) and do a search in their file library for a large download. The larger it is the bigger the sound file.
It may even say something in the file description.

Maybe these might have it. Turn the sounds up in the settings section of your flight sim menu.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=meljet&CatID=fs2004ac&Go=Search

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=posky&CatID=fs2004ac&Go=Search

You can also install some of these sounds.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=landing+gear&CatID=fs2004snds&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

TimTim wrote:

No, I think you are wrong

There are two types of pings... a single ping (heard when gear is raised and as far as I know also when gear is lowered) and a double ping (ping-ppiinngg) when the pilot wants one of the cabin crew

To give an example of what I mean:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4260813827225496761

Watch it at 20seconds when the co-pilot raises the wheels

Cool video anyways. It shows the pilot hanging onto the throttle until V1(if he could abort), when the copilot calls out V1, he lets go of the throttles, because he wouldn't be able to get the plane stopped in the amount of runway he has left. By letting go of the throttles, it won't even cross your mind to abort the take-off.

I think that V1 and the reject speed aren't the same, but they are probably usually pretty close.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

YES, there is a ping sound in real life on takeoff and landing.

I hear them sometimes on a lot of my flights!

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

The more I think about it, the more I think I have heard that pinging directly after take-off. I think it might be the seatbelt sign blinking to remind you that just because we're off the ground, you still need to be strapped in.

TimTim Guest

SteveT, nice video!!

I don't think it is just reminding you of the fact that you are off the ground, I think its defintly the gears going up, because it always seems to happen at that time

Ok, I know this is completely off-topic but I didn't really want to start a new thread just because of it, so

Is there any good online take-off checklists for 737-400 (or any 737 to be honest)

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

I heard those pings too. But never knew why. The seatbelt light didn't change and I would hardly think they turned on the smoking sign.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It may be some sort of indication to the cabin crew. If an emergeny occurs and there's not enough time for the crew to speak with the captian, it will obviously be useful for them to know the gear is up. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

get your gear up sound - get a ping sound

chuck the ping on the end with a program such as audacity

and save

🙂

TimTim Guest

That is what I am going to do

I have FSPassengers installed and it has a ping in it for the seatbelt sign. I will get this sound file (bell.wav I think) and put it on the end of gear up, and hopefully it will work

Thanks for the help everyone

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Just FTR - the ping sounds heard in the cabin are purposely inititiated by the pilots. What they actually mean varies from airline to airline, but they are indeed signals to the cabin crew.

Example - two pings might indicate to the flight attendants that the plane has passed through a certain altitude (perhaps 10,000 feet) and so the attendants may now contact the flight deck without fear of interrupting a critical stage of flight. Three might be an indication that they should begin landing preparations. Four might mean "bring me my lunch!" And so on.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...