Peculiar sound problem

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

Hi,

I'm having a problem with sound in my MS fs2004. When I open up a new flight, and the engines are running, I can hear a bit of static over the sound of the engine. While the plane is still not moving, if I cycle the views (panel/virtual cockpit/tower/spot), the static is very loud and horrible. However...once I start moving the plane, I can cycle the views once more, and while the static will be horrible again, after this cycle of views, the sound goes back to normal for the rest of the flight (no more static, even when I cycle the views). I've tried all three sound quality settings in fs2004, and these don't make any difference with regards to the static sound problem.

I'm not having any sound problems with any other program. My sound card is Sound Blaster Live 5.1, and speakers are Creative I-Trigue L3500 (2.1 system). I've checked for new sound card drivers, and it seems that I already have the latest.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated! Thanks!

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

Hmmm. No answers yet, and the problem is still here. Now though, there are times when I can't get rid of the bad static sound even after cycling through the views (as mentioned in my previous message).

This static seems to happen with just about any plane, but the one that seems to have the most trouble at the moment is my Flight 1/Dreemfleet Piper Archer II...though there are times when this plane's sound is just fine as well.

Unfortunately, this problem is not entirely consistent, so it's difficult to pinpoint just where the problem is (at least from my inexperienced perspective). In fact, for the first couple of months, this problem didn't exist at all. In trying to sort things out, I've since done a few re-installations of fs2004, and the problem is still here.

Originally, I thought it was entirely a sound card/speaker problem, but someone in a news group thought it might have something to do with my video card causing some interference. The card is an older ASUS GeForce2 MX400. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Mmmmmmmmmm try updated graphic drivers?
Also this Flight 1/Dreemfleet Piper Archer II...did it come with a sound file?
It could be corrupt, try reinstalling that.

Let us know

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

tomthetank wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmm try updated graphic drivers?
Also this Flight 1/Dreemfleet Piper Archer II...did it come with a sound file?
It could be corrupt, try reinstalling that.

Yes, I'm using the latest graphics drivers.

Oops...I misspelled...it should have read "Dreamfleet". Smile I haven't re-isntalled this plane yet, because this problem happens with just about any plane - even before I installed the Piper - so I know this problem isn't caused specifically by this plane alone.

Here are things I have tried before this....

I've removed any add-on planes, removed add-on terrain mesh (I only had a few of those), and I've also completely un-installed fs2004 then re-installed it. None of this has worked yet. This really is baffling me, because for the first two months of use, this was never a problem. It just started one day, and ever since then, it's been like this. I don't know if this is a system wide problem, but I sure don't have any sound issues in any other program.

Sometimes, I open a flight and everything is fine the entire flight. Other times, I need to cycle the views once (while the plane is moving), and all is well for the rest of the flight. And yet at other times, there's nothing I can do to get rid of the static sound but end the flight, and start again (and hope for the best). It's definitely a "regular" probem, but certainly not consistent in terms of me being sure that it will happen every time.

This is really driving me nuts. I hope someone can help.

Thanks for trying! Smile

Uninstalling & reinstalling will not give you the "Fresh" install you think,it leaves behind add on features such as scenery,sounds etc
I still think that an add on is the cause of your problem......think back

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

Uninstalling & reinstalling will not give you the "Fresh" install you think,it leaves behind add on features such as scenery,sounds etc
I still think that an add on is the cause of your problem......think back

Thank you...that's something I've been thinking about, as I *think* the problem may have started around the time I installed an earlier add-on plane (a freeware Piper Warrior III) which I no longer have since my last re-install. So... if a truly "clean" re-installation is in order, can anyone give me specific directions for a thorough cleaning/removal of *everything*? If it involves digging around in the registry, that's fine as long as the directions are very specific. Smile

I've saved all the installation files, etc. of the trouble free add-ons I really want, so removing/erasing everything in order to get a really clean re-installation of fs2004 is not a problem for me.

Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Embarassed forgot to log on last time,umm before you start digging where perhaps you should'nt, try and find any sound file relating to the Piper Warrior III .Did you put any new sounds in the main Fs9 sound file? If so start there.
You could delete the main sound file and repair(cant remember if fs9 allows this)or reinstall over the top and the sound file will be "fresh"

Im still thinking about this but a few sugestions for you to think about

Let us know

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

tomthetank wrote:

:Im still thinking about this but a few sugestions for you to think about

Let us know

The problem seems to have been solved. It was recommended that I try to turn down the "Hardware acceleration" option on my sound card (SB Live 5.1). I did this, and I no longer experience the nasty static! Smile

I was told that the hardware acceleration was mainly for surround sound, and since I'm only using "2.1" speakers (two desktop speakers and subwoofer), turning down this option shouldn't be a problem for me.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help! Smile

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...