Got my new joystick Logitech Extreme 3D Pro but...

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Recently I have got my new joystick and have been practicing with it for quite a while, but I have a little problem. My landings turn out to be terrible!! Because of the yaw, when ever I try to get straight on the centre line, i tend to twist the yaw causing it to go off the glide path and it screws up everything. Has anyone got any suggestion on how to control the yaw? Because I was wanting a function which will allow me to activate/enable the yaw to function and one that doesn't, so that I can only use yaw when I want to, ie. taxiing or landing in terrible weather, and when i dont want to. Any suggestions?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

increase the null-zones and decrease the sensitivity perhaps? but your idea is awesome.. that would actually be great.. if you manage to do so please explain us! I'm afraid I don't know how to do that 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

You can use autorudder, but that isn't terribly realistic.

It sounds like you are overreacting in the way you are controlling the plane. It takes a little practice.

When I used a joystick, I found that reducing sensitivity somewhat and reducing the null zones to nil, helped a lot.

Sphagnum1 Guest

Autorudder isn't realistic, but neither is trying to control it by twisting a joystick. If you don't have pedals, there is nothing wrong with using autorudder. You can still control the steering on the ground with autorudder on...

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

I have always had autorudder on, but have no idea what it is.. if taking it off will increase the realism of flight I'd be glad to do so.

what the hell is it? thanks in advance 😎

Pro Member First Officer

Ok, first of all what is autorudder, and how do you set it? Secondly what do you mean by null zones to nil?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're on about.

Pro Member Trainee
Greg1138 Trainee

Mc_GaNgStA wrote:

Ok, first of all what is autorudder, and how do you set it? Secondly what do you mean by null zones to nil?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're on about.

Download the correct software for your joystick from HERE......it is very user friendly and explains all......

Greg - who uses a Logitech Attack 3

Pro Member Chief Captain

Autorudder coordinates your rudder and aelerons so that when you move the sitck left of right, it moves your rudder as well, without you having to twist the stick.

Without it, you have to twist the stick to apply rudder.

Pro Member First Officer

And what will happen if i use autorudder, and twist my stick? I assume there will be no difference. Am i right?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Auto rudder changes the rudder along with the aelerons so that when you move the stick to the right, your left wing rises...and your ruddermoves to the right. What this does is eliminates problems caused by twisting the stick too much or too little.

By the way, some of those stick twisting problems may be caused by having the joystick in the wrong location. Ideally, your joystick should be where your forearm is level and neither right nor left of your elbow when it is comfortably at your side.

I am going to take a wild guess that the problem you are experiencing isn't really due to the way you twist the stick. I'm going to guess that you are approaching the runway with too little throttle. When this happens, the inertia of the plane may keep it going in a direction you don't want, so when you try to steer it, you have overcompensate. And, that really screws things up further. There has to be enough thrust from the engines to move the plane in the direction you want it to go.

By the way, what types of planes are you flying?

Pro Member First Officer

Well I usually fly the Boeing 737-400, default plane, but sometimes I fly the Boeing 737-800. I'll try your suggestion and see how it helps, and will let you know. Thanks.

Pro Member First Officer

Ok, I figured out the problem, and it was the positioning of it. I always had it infront of me and whenever i tried landing i always had the yaw turned. Now I can do it much better with the joystick at my side.
Thanks!!

Pro Member Trainee
nubelius Trainee

Last edited by nubelius on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

Well, already got a new one, so will wait a while. Btw SeanGa, I figured out how to edit the control using the Logitech Gaming software. Everytime I dont need the yaw, i just switch the assignment, using the program, do another one I made where the left yaw is the kneeboard and the right one the Tailhook lock. None of them affect any controls on my aircraft. The only annoying thing is to everytime minimize FS2004 then change it. I'm trying to figure out a way of doing it in flight. Btw, what does tail wheel lock do anyway? Coz everytime I switch that one, when this configuration is set, i can perfectly control the wheels and everything:S

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...