Aviation Stories

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

If you or any of your family members have a story about aviation, why not post it below.
I've got two from when my dad worked at Pan Am.

1. Takeoff Too Early
"I was cleared for takeoff at 7:58am. But there is a curfue that aircraft cannot takeoff over the White House before 8:00am. Well I did. The controller and I both got fined, and had plenty of paper work to do."

2. Never go sailing in front of an airport.
"I was takiing off from an airport in the bahamas in a 707. In front of the runway there was a guy that parked his sail boat there. After we took off i looked back and saw that the boat has capsised. I was not at fault because the guy should never of parked his boat there"

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

PanAmerican wrote:

. After we took off i looked back and saw that the boat has capsised.

How can you look back when your in the cockpit of a B707??
Dont Know

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

He turned shortly after takeoff

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

OK, that makes more sense 😉

I havn't got many, if any, aviation stories because i'm the only one in my family who's actually interested in aviation 😞

Don Wood Guest

Story #1 is unlikely to be true. You cannot EVER takeoff, land, or fly over the White House. The area surrounding the White House and Capitol is a Prohibited Area through which flight is never permitted (with some exceptions for military and Presidential Support aircraft). Anyone who did and any controller who vectored an aircraft into that area would face considerably more than just a fine and extra paperwork.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Don Wood wrote:

Story #1 is unlikely to be true. You cannot EVER takeoff, land, or fly over the White House. The area surrounding the White House and Capitol is a Prohibited Area through which flight is never permitted (with some exceptions for military and Presidential Support aircraft). Anyone who did and any controller who vectored an aircraft into that area would face considerably more than just a fine and extra paperwork.

Washington Intl, aka Ronald Reagan Intl...is about 1.5 miles from the White-House, I don't think he meant that he flew directly over the white-house, although it's possible, and the restrictions now are no take-offs from Runway 4(directly over the White-House/Capitol Hill). Take offs from Runway 1 are required to turn left as soon as they are in the air.

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00443VDRG4.PDF

Inside that square you have to be above 18,000 feet, but it's a relatively small area.

Notice the missed-approach for Runway Four, if you abort over the threshold, you have nowhere to go...I bet the pucker factor goes up if anyone ever does!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...