Hi,

I'm having problem with my video card.
My video card is:

3dfx Voodoo3
Apprx total memory: 16.0MB
date installed : 16th August 2001
This is a second-hand card.

I also have DirectX 9.0c

Is this card not ideal for playing Flight Simulator 2004?

Everytime i open the FS2004, i get this message: "FS9-This adaptor cannot render 3d graphics in windowed mode."
and this:
"error- creating required Direct3d buffer"

Does this mean anything to you?

What video card you recommend? What memory i really required?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think you need to get a card that is a lot more powerful. It depends on how much you want to spend and your other system specs. That card is insufficient to run FS9 smoothly if at all. You can get a relatively ok card for around $50 or £25 which you can use to run FS9 with lower settings. Give us your system specs and I'm sure you'll get some more advice 👍

MentalPilot Guest

My system spec is:

Windows XP Home edition(5.1, Build 2600)
Default system BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.3GHz
Memory: 640MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c

3dFX Voodoo3
16.0MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I hope this helps. Sorry i dont know much about computers.

PS: im from London UK

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Your PC is right at the bottom end for fs9 (sorry)
Buying a gfx card will not help that much (sorry again Embarassed )

You are low on all counts to run fs9 smoothly.More ram will help a little

Have a look here and see if you can squeeze a bit more out of your current gfx chip ➡

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

I wouldn't give up. Your system is underpowered for FS2004 but so is mine. I have a P4 2.4Ghz with 512 Mb ram and a Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 video card with 64Mb RAM. I have framerates locked at 30 and usually get close to that over open terrain. Of course a lot of the scenery options are turned down by the program when it installed. I think a more powerful video card would be worth it, more RAM wouldn't hurt either. I just installed FS2004 on this machine a few days ago and have convinced myself to get 1 Gig RAM and an Nvidia Geforce 6600 256Mb card next month when I have some spare cash.

PS Just looking at the box MS claims it will run on a 450Mhz processor with 128Mb RAM and an 8Mb /3D Direct X 9.0 compatible video card, but I wouldn't want to try it.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I think that you would be able to run the sim with some satisfacition if you got yourself a video card.
I assume you have an AGP slot on your computers motherboard; if so, and depending on the amount of money you have to spend, even something like this one:

would make a big difference.
If you can spend more money then do.
Let us know how much and someone will help you select the best one for the price.

Upping the memory to 1 gig would make a noticeable difference as well.

Look at your manual or post some more detailed specs here so someone can go and look at your motherboard and see what you have for a graphics port and memory capacity.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...