Recommendations on Software and Hardware for flight sim ...

I am looking for suggestions on a good flight simulator application and hardware, and why anyone would recommend any particular product(s).

I recently took my first flight lesson, took advantage of the FAA special for $50, and I absolutely loved it. I also want to start doing some practice on a simulator.

Any suggestions on a software application and the accommodating hardware would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,
Xaverian

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The one that we are using is the most advanced available for the home computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/fsinsider/

As I understand from others who are taking flying lessons it is somewhat of a help but nothing like a true simulator would be.

Just a passing note about an article that I read a while back.
The U.S.Navy has said that people who are in their flight school and have used the FS9 that we use have a 25% jump on other new recruits that start off cold.

Hardware, the best you can afford. you tell us how much you want to spend and we can give you an idea of why you need.
If you can build a new machine your way ahead of the game $ wise.

Radar

I have been looking at the microsoft site, and I believe that is the program that my flight instructor has set up in his office... So I looked at that one too.

As far as hardware, I would like to keep my costs under $500 for the application and hardware, I see that in addition to the Yoke and Pedals there are also communication device types of hardware too. My instructor mentioned he got jis from sportys.com but when I went to the site I didn't see anything there.

What do you use for hardware?

Xaverian

i am just finishing up my private pilot lisence and FS9 was a great help. My instructior was impressed when the ATC would tell me things like Squak 1200 and Ident and i knew what to do and he never told me. It is a great help just have a good grafics card and get a controller with a rudder that was the big difference for me. Getting used to the rudder in the real plane.

What is FS9?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

What is FS9?

MS Flight sim 2004, it's called FS9 because it's the 9th edition.
Next one is FSX the 10th version.

Radar

Ahh ... I see ...

So is there a recommendation on hardware? Anybody have a favorite Yoke, or peddles?

Xaverian

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

CH Products Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals.

Thank you Capt!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...