ctrl z

Pro Member Trainee
seadogs Trainee

Hi there.
When you push cntrl z, red writting appears. What does e.g. wind 111/10 mag mean?
thanks

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Guest Ed Guest

I think you mean shift-Z. That turns on the red display of heading, airspeed, wind, etc at the top of the screen.

111/10 mag would be a wind coming from a heading of 111 degrees, at a magnitude (speed) of 10 knots.

Ctrl-Z is something else; that would turn on your autopilot and set the Altitude Hold mode.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Guest Ed wrote:

I think you mean shift-Z. That turns on the red display of heading, airspeed, wind, etc at the top of the screen.

111/10 mag would be a wind coming from a heading of 111 degrees, at a magnitude (speed) of 10 knots.

Ctrl-Z is something else; that would turn on your autopilot and set the Altitude Hold mode.

Ed

You are correct in what you stated 111 degrees at 10 knots. But I learned from an earlier forum thread that the mag actually stood for magnetic refering to the heading. At least that was the consensus at that time.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

lkw wrote:

You are correct in what you stated 111 degrees at 10 knots. But I learned from an earlier forum thread that the mag actually stood for magnetic referring to the heading. At least that was the consensus at that time.

Ed is correct, the 111 is the direction that the wind is coming from, not headed to.

Guest Ed Guest

CRJ,

I think you misunderstood lkw's post-- his comment was about the meaning of "mag" in the shift-Z display, not which way the wind blows to or from. I said it was "magnitude" and lkw correctly pointed out that it means "magnetic," as in a magnetic compass heading.

I just went through the Learning Center article about winds, and I believe lkw is right; it specifically says that wind directions are the magnetic compass heading from which the wind blows.

I just dreamed up that "magnitude" business. 😂

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes, I did misunderstand. Embarassed All straight now. 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...