Saw something odd yesterday

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

On my way home, i stopped my bike and took a quick shot of this:

excuse the pic quality

The sign said "COME ON ENGLAND" as there was an England B game at the majesky (sp?) stadium in Reading.

I have never seen a helicopter tow something like this before, it wasn't a small helicopter - look at the size of the flag!!!

Isn't this incredibly dangerous? I know helis carry stuff but this is like towing a big sail.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

😳

I didn't even think helicopters were allowed to tow banners. I suppose as long as he stays a good couple of hundred feet above everything, he should be alright Dont Know

flightcheck Guest

Yeah choppers can tow banners, here in Perth, WA, they have them around for big events and stuff like that

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

well thats a new one for me...

come on ENGLAND. ❗ ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

It is bad enough when fixed-wing a/c tow banners. After all, by design, a fixed-wind a/c wants to fly. Helicopters, by design, have no inherent flight stability and people want to add more instability?!?! 😳

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Hard work they have to do to tow that all over ! 😳

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Lots of helicopters tow banners over here in NZ.

I took some photos a while back of a helecopter picking up a banner from the ground. The banner is weighted at the bottem corners so stays in shape while being towed.

Come to think about it, that would be a pretty awesome job, flying around all day towing banners. Where do I sign up? 😂

Guest Ed Guest

It probably adds stability, kind of like a tail on a kite. It's hard to imagine anything that would make a helicopter LESS stable.

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...