what is it?

squawk code Guest

What does it mean they say squawk (then a number)?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

A squawk code is a code that is given to you by ATC to key into your transponder. This allows ATC to track an aircraft's movements on their radar screen, so they don't get you confused with another aircraft. There are certain combinations of codes that mean different things:

7700 - General Emergency
7600 - Radio Failure
7500 - Hijacking

If you squawk any of those 3, you will start flashing on their radar screen and will have immediate authority over other craft. For 7500, (hijacking) you will be asked a simple question to which you answer 'Yes' or 'No' i.e. to confirm, your heading is 232 degrees? If you answer yes, you are confirming that there is a hijacking / terrorist threat on board. The idea is that the hijackers won't know the meaning of the subtleties of the question.

Hope that helps 😉

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

so if u put that code in on fs u will get asked a question like that?

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

If I'm not mistaken, an aircraft squawking 1200 is operating under VFR, yes?

In any case, you set the squawk using the radio stack - the display is the one marked "Transponder".

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yes, 1200 is for VFR.

I also forgot to mention, FS9 isn't programmed for any of the emergency transponder frequencies.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...