What does a pilot mean when they say this to ATC?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

What does a pilot mean when they say to ATC something like they're inbound to land "with Juliet" or "with Hotel". I've always wondered what that was all about. Thanks in advance for any help...

Oh and P.S. what does the "bleed air" switch do? I see it in the overhead panel of Boeing jets but I have no idea what it's function is. Thanks! 😀

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if this is a satisfactory explanation of the bleed air" switch .

http://www.boeing-727.com/Data/systems/infopneumat.html

I don't know the answer to the other except that they are the aircraft alphabet.

Radar

Don Wood Guest

Most controlled airports have a radio broadcast of current conditions including IFR arrival and departure runways, ceiling, visibility, surface winds, barometer setting, and any unusual conditions. ATC expects arriving and departing pilots to listen to that recording prior to contacting either ground control for departing pilots or the tower/approach controller for arriving flights. It saves radio time and avoids the controller having to transmit all that info to each flight.

Because these conditions can change fairly often, the recordings must be updated fairly often. Each such update is given a letter designator to differentiate it from the others. When a pilot transmit the "with Juliet" phrase, he is telling the controlller that he/she has all the information contained in the broadcast labeled "Juliet" and will comply with any instruction it contains.

When you look on a VFR sectional, the radio frequencies chart will have a column labeled ATIS. If the airport in question has such a broadcast, the radio frequency for it will be listed. It is also shown on IFR charts.

Pro Member Trainee
Michael Judah (compilots) Trainee

The pilot is notifying ATC which ATIS information he has received!

ATIS - Automatic Terminal Information Service (recorded voice message that provides weather and airport services information).

The recorded ATIS MSG also includes an alphabetic letter which is used to identify the currency of the ATIS MSG!

The MSG is changed by the ATC when conditions at the airport change! The information in the ATIS includes wind strength, direction, runway in use, QNH, etc…

The pilot listens to the ATIS before contacting the ATC after which he then informs the ATC which ATIS MSG he heard.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

See if this is a satisfactory explanation of the bleed air" switch .

http://www.boeing-727.com/Data/systems/infopneumat.html

I don't know the answer to the other except that they are the aircraft alphabet.

Radar

Any chance you could summarise the "bleed air" switch into a simpler summary? 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Doh! I'm not that familiar with their function.
Typically, the hydraulic system on the aircraft is pressurized by the engines. If an engine fails, the hydraulic system can be powered by bleed air or by the electrical system. Because the engines and bleed air are not currently available, setting the Hydraulic DEMAND pump switches to OFF ensures that electrical power is not currently used to pressurize the hydraulic system.

Read http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

To put it very basically, bleed air from the compressors is used to pressurize the cabin and run the airconditioning system..

Bleed air switch is not turned on until the main engines are running.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks for that Michael. But what are the compressors?

Also, what is the hydraulic system? Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

well no offence but if you plan on being a pilot you a lot to learn.

a hydrolic system is powered by ......oh how should I say it .........(pumps) have you ever seen a dump truck dump its load...? well if you have and you lokk where the bed usualy sets you should see a cylinder inside another cylinder. well one of those cylinders has preasure insides that...oohhh... creates a lifting function. depending on the preasure inside the compression chamber that determins how high the load will tip or RAISE..........right everyone I hope what I said was right if its not then plz correct me.

Now a compressor is something that creates pressure inside of a chamber. like.......ummmm....... have you ever seen an electric air compressore. If you have it uses a motor to compress air inside of a holding tank. this pressure can be used to fill tires with air, com,press objects into smaller objects.... it can be used in many ways.

P.S. hope this helps........oh if anything I said is rong please tell me.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...