Sunrise/Sunset at Supersonic Speeds?

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

I've never heard of a pilot talking about this...but I wonder if it happens.

At the equator on the Summer/Winter Solstice, the earth is spinning at 1,083 miles per hour. It decreases as you approach the poles, until you get to the exact pole, where there is no velocity.

So if you're at the arctic circle, the earth is spinning at about 457 mph.

As you increase in altitude, you have to fly farther to get to the same place under you on the Earth. So if the Earth is spinning 457 miles per hour, and you are at FL35, you will need to be traveling 459 to stay directly over the same spot.(not considering air/wind which is spinning with the Earth)

Anyways, what I am getting at, if you were flying at twice 457, heading East, the sun should RISE above the horizon, and if you are going West, the sun should set.

But you never hear a pilot talk about this...you'd think SR-71 pilots would be really excited to share something like that.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...