Sonic Boom

Jamie4590 Guest

When Mach 1 is achieved there are two booms that are created. One is directed forward of the aircraft and can be mistaken for thunder on the ground (ie not very noticeable) The other (primary) boom is sent downwards and this is very loud but just how loud is it and does the sound of the boom increase? I know a key factor in this is the altitude of the aircraft but in proportion would the sound generated from the boom be louder at say M2 than at M1?

Sometimes a fighter jet will go over me and I think this is quite loud but they are not at mach speeds and I imagine a supersonic boom to be immense. Perhaps ear ringing. Concorde could only fly supersonic over sea due to the noise created at mach speeds but what about the sailors and cruise passengers below? Would the Concorde captain consider these factors pre-flight or just be told of them afterwards? 😀

QUIZ TIME QUIZ TIME QUIZ TIME

Quiz Time Question:

What hand-held device creates its own sonic boom?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

A gun? Dont Know

Jamie4590 Guest

I suppose it does so technically you are correct but I'm thinking of something else...

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

boom box?

no, that was poor.

a clock? i swear that had something to do with it...

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

a handheld device this otta be good

Jamie4590 Guest

hinch wrote:

boom box?

no, that was poor.

a clock? i swear that had something to do with it...

I'm being misleading by using the term 'device' as its not a mechanical device. Its a basic material fashioned in to a device! No 20th centuary influence.

Boom Box? Where can I buy one of those? Very handy!

A Clock? What part of a clock could create a sonic boom? The second hand is the best candidate but still too quiet and slow for a boom maker. 😀

....?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

A whip ❓

Jamie4590 Guest

Yes. 👍

Jamie4590 Guest

Can anyone give me an idea on how loud the primary boom is?

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

around 95 decibles??

Guest Ed Guest

Jamie4590 wrote:

Can anyone give me an idea on how loud the primary boom is?

We used to hear the sonic booms in the Los Angeles area when the space shuttle would land at Edwards Air Force Base. It was loud enough to hear inside your house with the windows and doors closed, but I wouldn't say it rattled the windows. Just kind of a double "boom boom."

Loud, but not ear ringing kind of loud. Not as loud as the drummer in my last band, or as loud as the stereo in my neighbor's car. Mad

But then, Edwards AFB is close to 100 miles from here.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

When I lived in the eastern part of Arizona, we'd get some flights of B-1Bs out of New Mexico on training flights. Usually, they were below 1000 ft. AGL. On a couple of occasions, the pilots had a bit to much speed. Fortunately, it didn't happen late at night. You wouldn't want to be awakened by a sonic boom from a plane that close. 😳 🙄

Jamie4590 Guest

I don't understand why Concorde couldn't fly over land in excess of Mach 1 even at cruising altitude. Would the boom still be audible even at the highest flight levels?

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

I don't understand why Concorde couldn't fly over land in excess of Mach 1 even at cruising altitude. Would the boom still be audible even at the highest flight levels?

Well if that plane going to mach 2 + or -, will make a diference, when a subsonic airliner flyes over us we actually can hear them, and it is recognisable, i think the concorde will be heared as well. It may not be a bother for many people, but it could be for others. 😕

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...