Runways built on quicksand

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

Am I the only one who sets a flight plan, follows ATC carefully, flies for an hour or more to my destination, execute a near perfect approach, flare out to a soft touch down just to have my 737 sink below the runway in what appears to be quicksand?

Obviously a bug, and I've never seen Microsoft send out an update in all the versions of FS I've owned.

Is there a fix to this problem? It happens in a lot of areas. Mostly with heavy jets. And no, I wasn't landing on dirt patches with a 747. This particular instance was in San Juan. It's happened in Paris, London and Tokyo as well.

I hope there's a solution out there.

Thasnks,
Naf

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If it's happening with add-on aircraft then that's the reason. If it's the default aircraft...don't know but I'll hunt around for the answer.
I've never seen it happen but then again I'm a taildragger.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I forgot to log-in Embarassed
Thinking about what your saying.
Do you actually sink to the point that you "crash" or just does it look bad.
If it looks bad then it's a common problem that we all have.
When I first read it I was under the impression that the aircraft sunk=crash.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 It was a common thing in 2000 (or was it 2002) with add on aircraft so Im guessing that this is not a default aircraft

There was a fix......... Umm... .........Ill have a look through some fs2000/20002 files and see what I can find Read

TTT

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Found something about it in fs2002(I have not had chance to read it yet so nip over to Avsim and search for "sinking aircraft " and you should get a file called "fsplaned.zip" Its a PDF file so you will need Acrobat Reader

Hope it helps Blush sorry gotta dash

TTT

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

It happens with various aircraft, this particular time was with the default FS2004 Orbit paint scheme of the 737-400. It sinks and crashes. Straight through the pavement to about mid fusalage.
It doesn't happen all the time, but it isn't aircraft specific.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If it was a bug we'd all see it as often as you do.
It has to be something related to your computer system most likely your video card and or it's drivers.
I bet you have either a 64mb something or an older Nvidia, not an ATI.
Why don't you give us your full system specs.

Radar

Last edited by RadarMan on Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
Turtle5x5 Trainee

I've had this problem as well. However, I know what is causing it for me. Sometimes when I take say an f-18 for a spin I don't come in for proper landings. I usally come in way too fast and my vert. decent rate is too high. I crash and it looks like my plane is stuck in the ground. I have noticed it with several different aircraft I have taken in to land too hard.

I'm not saying this is what you are doing, but this is what happens to me.

Pro Member Trainee
rcj Trainee

I just added Ultimate Traffic tonight,as I was holding short of the runway waiting for takeoff,I watched two CRJ 200's disappear into the runway.Not a clue as to why.

Pro Member Trainee
STEALTH_BOY Trainee

ive notice it a few times when i watch people land they sink into the ground then come up again

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have Ultimate traffic also and the problem with the "disappearing aircraft" is the schedule that they "UT" "generate" for them.
If it's not complete the craft is "dropped" from the data base and disappears or continues to "go around".
Hey for $30 it's a pretty good and stable program, I'd buy it again for the next edition of the flight sim

As for "sinking into the runway" that's a problem with some aircraft especially the ones not made for 2004 but made for CFS or 2002.
That said if all they do is sink but are still maneuverable, I see that also, MS bug! Help!

Radar

Guest Guest

I had that problem at Juneau International (PAJN) with a 777. Runway 26W. 🙂

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 😉

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

If it was a bug we'd all see it as often as you do.
It has to be something related to your computer system most likely your video card and or it's drivers.
I bet you have either a 64mb something or an older Nvidia, not an ATI.
Why don't you give us your full system specs.

Radar

I have an FX5700, 128mb with the latest drivers (I check frequently).
I also have a 2.4 ghz Intel with 1 gig of ram. Windows XP pro, nothing out of the ordinary.

This even happened before I downloaded my first add on.

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

Turtle5x5 wrote:

I've had this problem as well. However, I know what is causing it for me. Sometimes when I take say an f-18 for a spin I don't come in for proper landings. I usally come in way too fast and my vert. decent rate is too high. I crash and it looks like my plane is stuck in the ground. I have noticed it with several different aircraft I have taken in to land too hard.

I'm not saying this is what you are doing, but this is what happens to me.

I've done that before, but this is not the case in these matters. I have made some very soft landings and still go through the ground.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's a MS bug, I just had a new aircraft do it to me today, and only with the left landing gear.
Odd. Dont Know

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

It's a MS bug, I just had a new aircraft do it to me today, and only with the left landing gear.
Odd. Dont Know

I just flew the same flight and landed perfectly, no problems. What dawned on me is it only happens in spot plane view. Never in cockpit view.

Since Microsoft has never patched a game I'm envoking the FIFO rule;

Forget It, Fly On

Naf

Guest Guest

Just thought I'd add that I get this (last time in Honalulu) but ALSO, I get a version of this error, where my plane also disappears behind cloud lines... (I don't meant that visibility deteriorates !!), I mean that the plane starts to hide behind a line where the cloud starts - it sometimes happens on the horizon when I'm over water too, I bank the plane and the wing disappears behind the water horizon - again, I don't mean it goes in the water - I'm usually at 8,000 feet at the time!

It's one pain in the ass bug - I get similar ones with MS Train Sim... think it's something that happens if your running with low RAM (< 512), or with a smaller Processor (I have a Intel Celeron = pap)... Don't think it happens with P4 or better, or 1012 Ram.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your 100% correct, the more ram and the better the processor (CPU) the faster and better the textures load.
Even with 512mb it takes extra time in a "busy" area or far distance.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...